AC Booster or Fuzz Head as a lead boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shredtrash, Apr 3, 2008.

1. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm going to run one of these as a lead boost after a Keeley Java Boost. I use class A boutique amps as my platform (Savage Macht 12x, Bad Cat Classic Cat, Alpha & Omega David) along with a Les Paul Standard, G&L Legacy w/Bardens, and a PRS Standard 22. Any thoughts from you guys with experience using a similar setup?

2. shredtrash

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've only ever tried the AC once.
    I own the Fuzzhead

AC for a compressed "distortion box" tone.
    Fuzz Head is more like a fuzz pedal: it reacts to volume changes. It is screaming when your guitar is on 10, and cleans up more as you turn down.
    The fuzz is not huge, but is more focussed for leads. It is a great flavor of lead, but it's not terribly versatile, and you may want more.

4. shredtrash

5. cameron

cameron Member

Neither. RC Booster is what you want.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I use the FuzzHead for my leads most of the time. I really like the pedal a lot. It has a ton of boost and would be a great compliment to your Java. If you like your Java a lot I am sure you would be the type player to enjoy the FuzzHead. Myself, I think it is very versatile, especially when combined with a Java or Keeley BD2. You have a vast range of smooth fuzz tones that sound very natural, and meld with your powertubes for a great sound. I didn't care for the AC, to me it sounded like a pedal, but some like it and get it to sound great, but for that type sound I prefer my FD2 Anniv.
    Best Regards!

7. Dale

Dale Member

I use a FH for leads and hot it with a Java Boost often. It is a great pedal. But, it is not a clean boost.

8. shredtrash

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning toward the Fuzz Head because, combined with my Java Boost, I'm thinking I can get a more '70s rock lead tone.