AC Booster too middy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny5, Jan 10, 2008.

1. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I am finding that the Xotic AC Booster has way too much of a mid-hump. I think it really takes away from the top end and does not sound “open” at all.

Is it too compressed? It’s not dark but I keep turning the treble up???

The REALLY like having the separate bass and treble controls and this pedal sounds pretty great at home in low volume situations but…

Anybody have a similar opinion? I have heard about different versions and possibly mods. Any info on that?

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Well it is essentially a TS. My only advice is to look for a different pedal if you don't want the midhump.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I didn't hear a boxy mid hump, but rather a musical one. Having said that, mine was replaced by more open pedals (E, Zen, OCD, etc). Having said THAT, sometimes I miss mine (I like that liquidy mid sound sometimes).

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Which version do you have? Don't raise the treble lower the bass. Also EQ changes the mid structure, give it another go. I like it for solo work on a strat with the toggle in the middle.

5. dave s

dave s Member

You've probably tried this, but set the tone controls to 12:00 and experiement with LOWERING the bass and treble in varying amounts. This seems to 'open up' the pedal quite a bit.

I wasn't a fan of the AC with the tone controls at or above 12:00.

dave

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I think Todd at gtrwrks.com has some mods for this pedal. Maybe he will chime in.

7. johnny5

No, I haven't tried that. I haven't actually played it with the contols BELOW 12:00. I'll try.

Thanks!

8. freaksho

freaksho Member

there is some mid emphasis and there may be a tiny bit trimmed off the top end but NOTHING like the TS-9. i would never call it compressed.

five or ten degree turn of the treble knob takes care of that imo. personally i found that little bit of coloration (which is what it's advertised to do, by the way) gives it a slight fattening effect that's great for leads. not to mention the fabulous sustain too!

did you get it for rythmn or lead boost?

edit:
    btw, are talking the new version or old? my comments are for the new one.

9. johnny5

I think it's the new version but I am not sure. I bought it from a TGP'r.

It has the LED in the top middle of the box....

How can I tell?

10. freaksho

freaksho Member

lol, that's exactly how you tell, as a matter of fact. you have the new one.

i've never heard an old one in person, but most people say it's more comrpessed. i don't know.

11. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

What kind of amp are you using? The BB Preamp might be a better option as it is more scooped sounding.

12. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Ahhh....the AC Booster.....nice pedal! Had that and the BB Preamp on my board and loved them both. Used the AC for low gain Strat-style SC leads and the BB for high gain Strat and bridge PUP leads (and V2.0 OCD for crunch rhythm). Then, I bumped them for two Jetter GSRs. But, just recently, I went back to the AC/BB for change of pace and have realized that they're still the great pedals they always were!

As for the AC, just like others have said, I lower the Bass (about 10:30-11:00) and raise the Treble (about 1:00-1:30) and keep the gain fairly low, around 10:00-11:00. The AC is definitely more compressed than the BB, but it's a great effect, IMO. It's another great flavor/feel in the arsenal. It let's me get a low gain boosted tone that isn't stiff, that gives a little, and feels like a pushed amp. And, it fattens SCs without making them sound like 'buckers. And, as others have said, it has some really great sustain...even at low gain settings.

I have tried the BB at low gain settings, but found the high mid emphasis just didn't work for me at lower gain settings. But, at higher gain, and especiallly with a neck SC, it's a thing of absolute beauty. Dial down the Treble a touch and it's a thing of beauty with a bridge 'bucker. I leave the Bass at noon though...doesn't seem to need any emphasis one way or the other to sound balanced.

13. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

And, BTW, I have the latest versions of both pedals.

14. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

Actually, not all AC Boosters with the LED in the top center are the current version. The folks from Xotic told me that the new version started at around s/n 4700.

Having said that, I played my pre-4700 AC Booster with my brother's post-5000 AC Booster and found them to be very close. My brother's pedal was slightly more open, but you really had to listen hard to tell.