AC/DC clippage with a Soldano X99 + ENGL E580

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by photios, Mar 13, 2008.

1. photios

photios Member

Man, I never thought I’d be a rack user, but for now that looks like the direction that I’m headed. I just have always found myself wanting more when I use a head for my gigs…they just never seem quite flexible enough to cover all the ground that I want. I’ve tried using pedals in conjunction with some of my heads in order to obtain more versatility but even the best pedals leave me feeling like my tone is compromised…especially when I compare my tone with and then without the pedals/router/switcher in the circuit. Even when I had my Switchblade Continuous Full Matrix router, which is a KILLER piece of gear, I lost some tone and introduced a bit of noise with it. At one point, I even tried using 2 heads in my rig…what a PITA that turned out to be…sure, I got more versatility, but not worth all the headaches and additional effort required to lug them around and get them to work together, plus the 2 amp setup was a bit noisy and real bee-atch to dial in and tweak.

Enter the midi-controlled, rack mounted pre-amps: Soldano X99 and ENGL E580. These bad-boys have the versatility that I’ve been hankering for, but do they have the tone? I think so, but you tell me…listen to the clip below and issue some feedback.

http://boomp3.com/m/5a673dd94df2/girls-got-rhythm

Clip details and a disclaimer: the clip was made with a cheap SR-16 drum machine…there is no bass guitar in the mix…and I’m not a very good player…on top of all that, I absolutely SUCK at making clips. It seems that some guys know how to lay down tracks and mix them well, I don’t…all that is to say that these amps sound WAY better live and in person vs. this hokey little clip…still, the clip does show somewhat how these amps can (IMO) pull off the low-gain crunch stuff…they aren’t just high-gainers like I’d always thought…they’re actually much more versatile.

2. photios

photios Member

OK, the link is fixed

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Not for me.

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

wow, that sounds amazing. nice job!

5. III

III Member

A lot darker sounding than I expected... still good.

6. photios

photios Member

Damn, what am I doing wrong here...try this link maybe:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6361236

I'm new to this recording thing...learning to convert WAV to MP3 and then finding a way to host the clip has turned out to be a challenge more difficult that I had thought. Hopefully this new soundclick link will work.

7. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

still not working?

8. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

whoops got it, sratch that...cool tone for sure!

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

Sounds great!! Did I miss which was which? The lead, I'm guessing, is the ENGL.

B

10. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Photios,

I think that clip was great! You really seem to have the knack for getting that M.Y. lower gain rhythm tone.

I know you are a fan of the SLO (your "old" one has certainly been kicking tail lately in Ohio) so I wonder how you tamed that high gainer to find the tones you use with your band!?! Did you even use the drive channel?

Anyway, cool clip. I love AC/DC, "Back in Black" was the first cassette tape album I ever bought way back when.

11. photios

photios Member

The ENGL is doing the Malcolm part. The X99 is doing the Angus and the lead.

I find the E580 has the ability to clean up more and to be less compressed than the X99 so I think it makes a better Malcolm low gain tone. The little bit of added compression and gain from the X99 (even at low gain settings) tends to be just about right to do Angus. Now the 580 certainly has the ability to get compressed and gainy...even more than the X99, but for low gain stuff, you can dial in the voicing to be really cool for low gain crunch...kinda HIWATT-ish.

Since I do the Mal part in an AC/DC tribute band, I'm gonna swap out the X99 for the E580 in my rack...but, I'm still keeping my X99 just becuase they're rare and they have killer tone (I prefer Soldano tone to ENGL, but recognize the ENGL is more authentically Malcolm so I'm gonna use it in my gig).

12. photios

photios Member

Thanks for the compliments bro...I miss that SLO but I'm glad you're keeping her busy.

I utilized the clean channel on the SLO to do low gain crunch (I also use the X99 in the same way...its the same preamp circuit as the SLO)...if you dime out (or nearly dime out) the gain on the clean channel, you can get some really cool low gain plexi crunch stuff. I know a lot of people complain about the SLO clean channel, but I personally think it just rips if you set the gain and MV properly. I can also set the gain low on the crunch channel and get some pretty cool low gain crunch stuff...you still have to keep the MV up (usually 2:00 or higher) to get the goods on a SLO. If you keep the gain below 3 on the crunch, you can get some kick-ass stuff for doing cool crunch tones. On the Overdrive mode, you have to keep the gain below 1 (still keeping the MV up way high) and even then you get some compression and a little too much gain for authentic AC/DC-ish stuff to do rhythm work, but it does work great for lead parts...that's what you're hearing on that clip: X99 on OD channel with gain set at about 1/2.

Now with that clip that I recorded I used my Malcolm Young Gretsch guitar with TV Jones TV Classic pickups for both the Mal and Angus parts...those are ultra low output pickups (4.8K) and probably help me to get those low gain crunch tones. I find with PAF's or higher that the front end on the SLO just tips over too easily...too much gain and compression for my tastes. But with the right pickups, killer stuff...in fact, I want my SLO back...when will you be done with it? JK...lol...enjoy the SLO.