AC/DC fans, what amp are you using to get your tones?

Seems like a few Germino guys are in here. Count me as one of them with the Club 40. If you dime the volumes on the amp and take your volume on your guitar back to about 5 or 6, there's your rhythm tone. Raise the guitar volume up to 9 or 10, there's your lead. I squeeze a little TS808 in there too for the leads. Works very well.

played some acdc lastr night...used my epiphone g400 with seymour duncan pearly gates, a peavey classic 30, and a wampler plexotortion...(use a barber direct drive with similar results) and it sounded VERY acdc esque...initial attack is gritty, but sustains somewhat clean...that pedal has the right eq as well to get acdc tone...:)

Chris Scott

A lot of people think an sg is the way to go but I think a lot of the tone we associate with ACDC is from a Gretch with one filtertron. Malcolm is criminally underrated.
ayup - though Angus is a firey player indeed, the sound of that band is Malc, much more than Angus imo.

Seems that many, if not most players think a "dimed plexi" is the core tonality, but nothing could be further from the truth.

scott1568

ayup - though Angus is a firey player indeed, the sound of that band is Malc, much more than Angus imo.

Seems that many, if not most players think a "dimed plexi" is the core tonality, but nothing could be further from the truth.
I would agree that only in more recent years Malcolm has received his due credit especially from guitar players. I love their live shows and have been seeing them over the years since 1985. They define rawk.

However, it is both of them together IMHO that defines the sound.

I'm not saying a dimed plexi will get everyone the exact AC/DC tone perfectly. A Les Paul and a dimed plexi will get you in the ballpark and sound damn good in the process. Anyone with internet access can lookup the gear, guitars, speakers, picks, string gauge, and what Angus and Malcolm eat for breakfast. However, not many people can put all that together and play like them. That's what makes them AC/DC and everyone else, including me, wankers.

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
i'll say a dime'd dual recto would be further :D
i'm guessing you haven't played many recto's then.

My rectoverb in pushed mode snags the ac/dc vibe as good as anythingl.
even more so since i put in big bottle kt66s and a scumback m75.

sickboy79

If I want to Nail AC/DC tones - 71 50w Marshall or my 79 50w JMP 2204.

But, I can get great AC/DC tones from a lot of amps - Fender Bassman head, Matchless Clubman, Bad Cat Hot Cat, etc. Just set for a great overdriven tone, and it's all about pick attack.

big jilm

I can get a pretty convincing Angus tone using my '61 Reissue SG and my Splawns with the gain down. Gotta turn up, though - volume is key with this set up.

Angus has an amazing aggressive attack that can be hard to cop if you are not used to playing that way as well. If you are used to playing at home volume using mostly pre amp gain, letting the amp do all the work, the Angus tone can be a challenge.

To me, the AC/DC sound is Malcolm. Somebody should build a guitar with a FilterTron way back in the bridge and a '57 Classic just ahead of it with 2 outs to run to two different amps? FilterTron to a cleanish Superlead or something and humbucker to a cranked up JTM 45 or whatnot. I'm kinda kidding, here.

Marc Roy

I can nail that Highway to Hell easily with the first channel of my PWE Even Horizon (it's along the lines of an old Marshall JMP). I need a bit of volume to do it but then again, AC/DC isn't known to be quiet, are they?

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Humubuckers (Duncan 59's in a custom chambered strat with mahogany body with maple top, mahogany neck, ebony board) > TS808 > Xotic BB Preamp MB > Dr. Z M12 head > Dr. Z 1x12 cab (with Scumback M75)

Trending Topics