AC/DC tones from a Mark V

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, so I'm "half" way there... I just picked up a quad of EL34s for my 90W Mark V. Does anyone have any setting tips to get an AC/DC type sound?

I've googled, but have found very little and nothing useful.

Cheers

les_paul

Channel 2 crunch. 7 to 8 on treble and bass, mid at maybe 4, presence to taste (tends to be around 5 for me). Play the gain to how loud you want to be. High volume? Gain about half. Low volume? Gain to 7 or 8. Use the preset EQ knob rather than the GEQ.

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
Channel 2 crunch. 7 to 8 on treble and bass, mid at maybe 4, presence to taste (tends to be around 5 for me). Play the gain to how loud you want to be. High volume? Gain about half. Low volume? Gain to 7 or 8. Use the preset EQ knob rather than the GEQ.
Where to you have the preset eq knob?

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
At one point I thought I had on my Mark V. I had played Plexi and Plexi type amps before, heard them a million times (obviously).

Then I got a high quality SuperLead 1959 clone. I realized it wasn’t even close.

I like my Mark V- some days more than others (it is not without its faults). I like my Plexi type amps- some days more than others (they also are not without their faults).

Different tools, different jobs. I don’t knock a hammer for not being a screwdriver. So I quite trying to make a hammer do the job of a screwdriver. Lol.

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
At one point I thought I had on my Mark V. I had played Plexi and Plexi type amps before, heard them a million times (obviously).

Then I got a high quality SuperLead 1959 clone. I realized it wasn’t even close.

I like my Mark V- some days more than others (it is not without its faults). I like my Plexi type amps- some days more than others (they also are not without their faults).

Different tools, different jobs. I don’t knock a hammer for not being a screwdriver. So I quite trying to make a hammer do the job of a screwdriver. Lol.
100% Just trying to get as close as I can with the gear I have. From tips in this thread I've already gotten closer than before.

burchyk

That's just like my opinion, man
Silver Supporting Member
Does the mid point he makes still apply on the full size Mark V? The full V doesn't have the mid boost...
I think so.. Usually on these circuits when you set the mid control at max it makes the curve flatter.

If you look at this schematic it's parallel Gain Stages (GS1) - channel volumes - GS2 - GS3 - Tone Stack - PI

There would be some high pass happening but the tone stack sitting before the phase inverter would be closer to where MkV EQ is located.

In MkV the Tone Stack for Ch1 and Ch3 are after the first GS1, while Ch2 TS is after GS2.

You could try replicating the EQ curve from the tone stack calculator. I think Marshall pots at 5 would be a smiley on Mesa EQ. But one has to take into account the curve that is left from the preamp.

The Ch2 tone stack on MkV looks similar to a traditional blackface with a few tone shaping switches. The way to set those flat is to dime the mids and set the treble and bass close to zero.

Hope this at least inspires you to try some tones you might have not found otherwise :)

burchyk

That's just like my opinion, man
Silver Supporting Member
Oh almost forgot, a nice set of Greenbacks is probably a big part of the sound too

Jstarr

I just dialed this in on the clean channel. Master is cranked plugged into 4x12 Greenback cab using a LP with T-top pups

Output: Max
Gain: 7
Master: Max
Treble: 7
Mid: 5
Bass: 4
Pres: 7
Bold Switch

Also the same setting through the Mesa combo cab

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
I just dialed this in on the clean channel. Master is cranked plugged into 4x12 Greenback cab using a LP with T-top pups

Output: Max
Gain: 7
Master: Max
Treble: 7
Mid: 5
Bass: 4
Pres: 7
Bold Switch

Also the same setting through the Mesa combo cab
Nice!! Those are darn close. I would say back off the gain just a tad. Try around 5.5-6. The eq sounded great so it’s basically there!! Good job.

Trending Topics