ac15 / ac30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jared759, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jared759

jared759 Member

so i was debating on upgrading my amp, and i'm pretty sure it'll be a vox. the thing is i cant decide on the ac15 or the ac30. anyone know of the perks about each of them? i know the ac15 is a lot cheaper, but only has one 12 speaker...and the ac30 has 2 12s...

2. cherokee_jack

cherokee_jack Member

You will be fine with the AC15 as far as stage volume and tone... It depends on how much punch you need to get the job done. I'd buy the AC15 and a good mic and still be ahead.

3. gregc

gregc Member

An AC30 is LOUD, but when we tried using AC15 amps, unmic'd they were 'borderline sufficient' against bass, drums, and keys. AC30 with an attenuator was the winner.

4. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

The AC15cc is the top boost channel of the AC30. It's one channel. I think it's one of the best bang for buck amps out there.

The AC30CC has alot more features, an extra channel. So you have your clean channel and you can blend the channels and a bunch of other switching option as well. Check out the details on their web page or MusiciansFriend.

Great things said about both amps.

5. Derwood

Derwood Supporting Member

The AC30 is rather heavy, if that matters to you.
    I think I saw where just the head version weighs 50 pounds.

6. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

AC30's are really loud and heavy amps. They do have the trademark chime that the AC15's lose pretty fast on the volume dial. Ac30's also have just a bigger and more sound all together.

AC15's though are great in their own right. Cranked up, they have a nice drive that a lot of amps just don't have.

I've done several unmiced jams and rehearsals with my old AC15 korg era RI and I've had no troubles being heard over another guitar with a bigger amp and hard hitting drummers...on a few occasions I was asked to turn down so I wasn't drowning out the other guitarist. I never once cranked the amp to its limits

Anyymore, 15-20 watts will suffice in a live situation that is in a small to medium sized venue.