AC15 Buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LoganKade, Feb 5, 2012.

1. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

So for a long while now my Vox AC15 makes a bit of a buzzing noise. I wouldn't say it's obnoxious but it definitely is more noticeable than a small amp hum. I'm not really sure what the problem might be, and I'm kinda newbie when it comes to sound troubleshooting, but i will say that the hum does stop if I put my hand on the strings of the guitar or touch the metal ends of the cable plugged into the cab. Thanks for any help!

2. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

How do you have your channel volume and master volume set? What channel are you using, and how long have you been playing on the amp?

I found mine to be a little noisy with the stock tubes and the power supplies I was using for my pedals at the time. I just switched my tubes and picked up a Pedal Power 2+ and that made a ton of difference.

3. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

I've been thinking of replacing my tubes actually, which did you go for? I'd kinda like to get a more smooth/rounded sound if possible since the vox is bright and I'm playing with single coils

4. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

I bought a retube kit from eurotubes. They are a set of JJ's that are matched for your amp, and it only cost me like $60. I've never retubed an amp before, so I was slighty nervous about it, but it's pretty easy when it's all said and done. The new tubes seemed to increase the amp's headroom a bit and got rid of a lot of hiss. I think it might be exactly what you are looking for.