AC15-ish amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveS, Mar 10, 2008.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Who makes a cool little low powered EF86/EL84 AC 15 type amp (besides the Vox reissue) ?

Any input ?

THanks !
    -Dave

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What price range?
    Try a 65 Amps London (more like half AC-15 and half 18 watt Marshall).

3. daveS

Cheep ! ;) ...but price is not the driver...tone is.

Those 65 Londons are great and so are the Gabriel Voxers....thanks ! ... I don't really need the extra channel but it's nice to have it there.....mostly just want the EF86 channel.

Thanks !
    -d

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Valvetech Hayseed... depending on your definition of cheap.
    Frenzel makes an AC15 head that LOOKS really nice, but I don't if it uses the EF86 (he could probably make one for you though). I haven't heard much about them though.
    Meanwhile my AC15CC came in today and its very nice for the price. I also have a Alnico Blue on the way as well (no EF86 though).
    Someone named Rich on TGP is making custom amps that are supposed to be really nice... I had his contact info but lost it. Maybe he'll chime in.

5. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

6. HHB

HHB Member

Tophat Club Royale, look no further

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Hey Dave-

have you tried the AC15 Heritage yet? Once that Blue breaks in, it's extraordinary.

8. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Top Hat Supreme 16...it is amazing for that AC15 sound to my ears...incredible build quality as well...only available as a head but definitely worth a listen if you want low powered voxy tones...the Club Royale can also be Voxy but some versions of the Club Royale are more Voxy than others...I had the AC15HW for a while and while it was great clean and breaking up, I found the overdriven sounds a bit raspy, but I didn't have it too long and that could well just be more about my limitations in how to play well with that amp (and maybe I should have given it more of a chance to let the speaker break in). It is hard to beat the jangly sounds on the AC15HW and it has a nice range of features with multiple generations of Voxy sounds and a half-power switch (useful as that thing can get really loud!), but I definitely prefer the overdriven sounds of the Top Hat...not raspy at all and more articulate...it might be less Voxy and maybe I am just more a fan of a modified Voxy overdrive than the "real" thing...lots of great amps out there now to get that Voxy sound! I also find the EF86 tube finicky and like to have it housed in a head instead of a combo so you don't have to worry about rattle and noise...

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

10. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

If your just going for the EF86 side...

The Voxer Lo Carb
    Brown note Voxy Brown
    Tophat S16 adds the newer Club Royale preamp side as well as the EF86 channel. Differs from the usual AC15/Marshall 18 watt thang.

11. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

No EF86, but check out the new Royal Bluesman at www.burrissamps.com - it's a really versatile piece of gear. It's a 2xEL84 15 watt (18 watt?) amp with tremolo and a two-knob reverb, kind of like the love-child of a Bruno UG-30 Anniversary and an Orange Tiny Terror. I tried a prototype, and it sounded fabulous. Plenty of clean headroom. To add to the amp's utility, it can be used as a stand-alone verb/trem unit with any other amp, either in the loop or out front as a preamp. What really kicked it over the bar for me was that the footswitch for the trem has a 9V tap so it can power a string of pedals. I'll be snapping one up as soon as they become available to the general public. Cheers,

Rob

12. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Ceriatone makes an 18W and 36W EF86 amp built and shipped for maybe $1000.

www.ceriatone.com

13. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

Electrosonic makes a few diff amps with EF86 Preamps.

14. daveS

Thanks guys....great suggestions. :AOK

For the record, I do have an early Fargen Bastage with one EL84 and one EF86. Cool little low watt @ home noodler, but a little dark....probably not terribly ac15ish but interesting tones.

Peace
    -d

15. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

whats your budget
    if you want best for buck go with the ceriatone