AC15 vs. AC30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rapmaster, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

I was trying out some AC15CC1 and AC15CC1x amps at the store the other day but ran across a decent deal on an AC30CC1.

My question was, what are the differences between these amplifiers? Other than the fact that the AC30 has more headroom and that the CC1x has a blue alnico.

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

The main difference is the AC30 has a Normal Channel, a warmer, cleaner tone that really works with pedals and single coil guitars in my experience. I never use the Top Boost of my AC30 as I play a Tele all the time, a perfect match for the Normal Channel. AC30 also has a Cut control to tame the highs of the Top Boost channel, AC15CC does not.

3. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

Ok, thanks for the input.

Additional question, exactly how much more headroom does the AC30 have? Might be a difficult question, but at about what dBs does the amplifier start breaking up?

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

No idea of dB headroom, but the Normal Channel with single coils begins to break up around half way on the dial, give or take a notch depending on tubes, pickups etc. That's already more than loud enough to sit with a drummer and the rest of the band and at this point there is still enough headroom left for a boost to lift the amp further over the mix.

5. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for. How well do these take to attenuators?

EDIT: And pedals?

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

With minimum attenuation for stage use they are fine, it's not quite the same as having the speakers working hard, but most of the tone is there. The Normal Channel take to pedals nicely, less so the Top Boost, but just list the "pedal heavy" bands that use AC30s, Radiohead, The Edge, Wilco etc all use heaps of pedals with a Vox.

7. blackba

blackba Member

I have an AC30CC1 now, I just to have an AC15TBX. The AC15TBX was a great amp. Much easier to control at lower volumes and sounded great. I got rid of it for the AC30CC1 since I needed a little more power and wanted the normal channel. Overall it was a good move. I did put an Alnico Gold speaker in my AC30CC1 and do some minor mods....

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think you'll notice a significantly different volume between the AC30 with blues and the AC15 with blues. What will be true is that the clean tone will hold together better. It's harder to get a country or jazz clean out of the 15.

9. musicsoma

musicsoma Member

Yeah, I have had both AC15 and AC30 (reissues made in England), and I am more of a fan of the AC30. I love the brilliant channel and will disagree that it doesn't take to pedals as well. My experience is quite different, but different strokes for different folks.