AC15?

jdel77

Thinking of getting an AC15 for home and quieter rehearsals.
Korg era UK made is the ideal, however I'm after that EL84 chime at home to drumkit volumes.
Which model AC15, if any, is touted as preferable?
I'm happy to put a Blue or a Creamback into a better amp down the track, more interested now in one with decent iron that will nail that Petty, REM broken up grind.
Cheers.

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
I had one and loved it. Took a while to "get it" but once I did.....Put in a set of JJ's and a Weber Ceramic and was happy!

The AC15C1 is loud to get by in practice with a drummer, but mic it at gigs. I own a AC30C2 and AC30HW. I recently bought an AC15C1 and put an Alnico Blue in it. I'm seriously considering selling all three and getting the AC15HW to be my only Vox. I find the AC15 to sound better than the equivalent AC30 when in front of a mic, however in the room with a drummer, the AC30 floods the room more.

MissoulaGriz

The AC15C1 or the AC15HW would be perfect. They are great and like others have said, with a quick tube swap, you've got a great amp. Drop in an Alnico if you wish and there's really not much you couldn't do with that amp. Perfectly functional for gigs and rehearsals. Definitely mic for the gigs. Not much clean headroom but it's the Vox edge of breakup tone that's so dang beautiful anyway.
I have the AC15C2 (2x12) with an Avatar Alnico A25 and A50 mix and I can get Petty/R.E.M. All day long. Throw a Rat into the mix and I'm in total rock n roll mode.

jdel77

The AC15C1 or the AC15HW would be perfect. They are great and like others have said, with a quick tube swap, you've got a great amp. Drop in an Alnico if you wish and there's really not much you couldn't do with that amp. Perfectly functional for gigs and rehearsals. Definitely mic for the gigs. Not much clean headroom but it's the Vox edge of breakup tone that's so dang beautiful anyway.
I have the AC15C2 (2x12) with an Avatar Alnico A25 and A50 mix and I can get Petty/R.E.M. All day long. Throw a Rat into the mix and I'm in total rock n roll mode.

A 2x12 AC15 would be awesome!

WillLane

If you can find one of the 90's AC15's (AC15TB/TBX) in your budget, go for it. From what I see it has a master volume. The 90's AC30TB(X) doesn't. Celestion Blue is a must if you want to hear a "proper" VOX sound. CC1(X) and C1(X) is fine as well.

Last edited:

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
A 2x12 AC15 would be awesome!

Behold, the Vox AC15C2! All of the spine-crushing mass of the Vox AC30 with none of the power handling or tonal advantages. ;)

AC30%202x12%20combo.jpg

MissoulaGriz

I love my AC15C2. I'm able to push the amp into great overdrive tone without blowing my eardrums out. Also, the 2x12 gives it a great sense of spread and openness as well as a full sound. It's the best if both worlds, full size AC30 2X12 that's lower wattage so you can get those power tubes working at lower levels. It's awesome in the studio and on the stage.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Did you get rid of your AC30 mate?

If not I suppose you could consider something like a Power Station instead of buying the AC15.

BJF

Hi there,

Yes I got one 1x12 as I gathered it is a popular amp and I thought I'd use it for a gig- but I had a hard time finding a distortion box that would work with it and so I was convinced I had a Celestion Blue in the amp to make sound brittle but I had a Greenback......OK so working on tit getting a distorted sound that is workable- just plain as is it sounds fine with a Barytone.

I like the portability and size but have yet to find my sounds with it

This post contains Mr Distorted’s Opinion

"What It Is" Steven Bruton

"The Truth Is Unbelievable"

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
Companies I do designs for in no particular order
www.bjfe.org
www.lundgren.se
http://www.one-control.com/
http://www.pedaltronics.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/LouderAndMore
www.bearfootfx.com
www.mpamp.com

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
Hey @jdel77
Not the best recording, but here's my AC15C2. I've loaded it with the Avatar Alnico A25 and A50 speakers. I'm loving the mix.

OK, my earlier smart-ass comment aside, that does sound really good. Thankfully, Vox has since released the AC15 as a head, which, IMO, is the most flexible option of all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom