AC15C1 - Played it, bought it on the spot

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
UPDATE:
...the harshness I mentioned earlier seems to go away at higher volumes. Earlier I had only been able to turn it about 1/2 way up...and had been using the MV.

fun!
Yeah... I either run the MV at about 3 o'clock or fully dimed! Then bring each channel's volume up just to the edge of breaking up. I then roll back the volume on my strat to abou 7.5 or 8... it sounds soooo good this way. My two kids are on spring break this week, so I haven't played it since I replaced all the pre-amp tubes with JJ's. I'm dying here!!! LOL Can't wait until band rehearsal Sunday!

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
played one of these the other day at GC, while trying out a CV tele and CV strat. Both guitars sounded very good through this. Did not try out any humbuckers. Crap. I wasn't looking for a 600 dollar amp, I've got my eye on a bass amp right now. But I really liked this amp. I was enjoying the tone cut control. My word, but you can get that Vox jangle/chime out of it.

might bring my les paul in next time I go.

guitkrazy

I played mine at Practice last night- Wow! It sounded great! While I agree that the speaker is very stiff, but I am positive it is because it hasn't been broken in. Even fresh out of the box this amp delivers! My sound was so clear! and it took pedals great! I even ran a BYOC Shredder (Based on the Marshall Shredmaster Pedal) with the gain cranked it sounded awesome!

steve_man

yeah, was messing around last night with an overdrive pedal through the top boost channel...was able to get some really cool and different tones out of it. For it's size, it packs a good punch!

furry

I just tried this amp out and I was very impressed. Just an overall excellent sounding little amp. I liked it better with humbuckers, but I didn't really do enough tweaking to get it dialed in.

I was hanging with Esoteric Pete, and he called the tone 'woolly', which I think is pretty accurate. Very nice tones out of the back pickup-- on a Chinese ES-335 copy, no less...

lanny

I did my first rehearsal with the pair I picked up this week. I'm mighty happy, especially at such a great deal these amps are. Plenty of headroom and that classic AC tone. The touch of brittle top end suggests the speakers are a little green.:) Now to figure out how to footswitch the reverb on both at the same time..

epoch

I have this Weber MicroMass sitting here collecting dust and I'm thinking of trying it out, but how would I go about doing this as the back is closed and the leads to the speaker don't exit the cab ... any thoughts?

steve_man

I did my first rehearsal with the pair I picked up this week. I'm mighty happy, especially at such a great deal these amps are. Plenty of headroom and that classic AC tone. The touch of brittle top end suggests the speakers are a little green.:) Now to figure out how to footswitch the reverb on both at the same time..
Oh....i bet it sounds GOOD in stereo!

Voxguy76

I have this Weber MicroMass sitting here collecting dust and I'm thinking of trying it out, but how would I go about doing this as the back is closed and the leads to the speaker don't exit the cab ... any thoughts?
Yeah was thinking the same thing as I have a mini mass sitting here. I took the back panel off only to find the speaker leads are hard wired into the chasis which really sucks. You could put the attenuator between the external speaker out and an external cab though. This is assuming you have another cab to run it in.

Rev2S

I have had my CC1 with a Blue in it for the longest. I have had Bad Cat, Mesa, Orange, Top Hat, Fender, /13 and the Vox has stuck around the longest. Go figure....

Voxguy76

Is it just me or has anyone else thought about modifying the top back panel on the amp? If it was a bit shorter and didn't have that black mesh grill I think tube swaps and appearance would improve? Besides the are like 16 screws holding it on. Maybe I'm just used to owning voxes with open backs.

hangten

Gold Supporting Member
I am semi-seriously thinking about building a new cab for mine...

FWIW, my amp is starting to loosen up and sound a lot better!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Cranked mine for three hours last night with new JJ pre-amp tubes in it... sounded much better than the stock tubes. Now to find some new power tubes for it too.

I'm loving this amp more and more... next gig is less than 2 weeks away and this will be the first gig I play using this amp. Can't wait.

Stratobuc

Cranked mine for three hours last night with new JJ pre-amp tubes in it... sounded much better than the stock tubes. Now to find some new power tubes for it too.

I'm loving this amp more and more... next gig is less than 2 weeks away and this will be the first gig I play using this amp. Can't wait.
Just curious why you didn't pop for the full re-tube kit from Eurotubes. I'm planning on re-tubing my AC30H2 as soon as it lands Wednesday.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ I actually had a full Eurotube kit, but the power tubes were 6V6. I bought the kit for my HRDlx, but sold the amp before I put them in it. So I had the ECC83s lying around, including a balanced one for the PI.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Enough that is was noticeable... much warmer. No change in breakup. I'm hoping the power tubes will help there.

I was on the Vox forum and it appears using both channels at the same time adds to the overall OD... so I may be looking at an A/B/Y solution here soon versus how I'm using my chorus with the volume pedal. It may solve my very minor issue.

devbro

I tried running both channels together similar to the blend feature on the AC30CC2 and it adds significant gain and volume. I'm not sure if I really like it though because I've grown very fond of the normal channel lately. I might try it using my AXESS BS2 to split the signal and see what difference a buffered isolated signal makes.

Trending Topics