• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ac15c1 tone controls

Melville1851

So i recently traded in my Tweaker for an AC15C1 and I'm loving it quite a lot. Have a tung sol in v1, mullard in v2, and jj in v3 (all new production). Anyway, I've done some searching around and haven't found a satisfactory explanation for how the tone controls work between the top boost and master cut. Obviously I've done plenty of playing around and found plenty of tones that I like. I'm just curious if anyone has come up with a good (layman's) explanation for what these controls are doing when you twiddle em. beyond the fact that the treble control also cuts bass, as it says in the manual.

Any ideas?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
OK... I just offloaded a C1 and here's my take. The TB tone stack is interactive as you mentioned. So increasing bass also takes out some treble and vice versa. My impression of the tone cut is it's a master control of both channels "general" tone, like a single "tone" knob on some pedals. Remember that the cut knob works on both the TB and normal channels. I used both channels with an A/B/Y switch. I always set the cut knob to flavor for the normal channel and then I tweaked the TB channel's knobs to flavor. This, of course, depended on the room I was playing and whether or not I used an amp stand... all of which changed some of the dynamics of the amp's sound.

In the end... I started with the cut knob and the normal channel. but if you only use the TB channel then you can start with the cut at noon and then use it as a master tone control for your TB channel after you dial'd in the EQ. Make sense?

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Can't help on tone control bit but I own a Tweaker and a C1 and I'm curious why you traded the Tweaker for the Vox. Any thoughts you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Melville1851

Thanks for the advice fender. I'm trying to figure out what the knobs do as far as the mids are concerned. There's definitely some variation going on but I haven't been able to pin down specifically whats going on so that i can repeat a setting. I think I might be tricking my ears a bit with all the messing around :)

FJ: I had the tweaker for a little over a year but i never quite got it to chime quite how i wanted it. I played the vox at gc and fell in love with the chime and edge of breakup tones. I liked it better for finger picking as well, which i do about 50 % of the time. also the reverb and trem are cool! Getting the amp slightly broken up with a low depth high speed trem effect is aweeeesome. The reverb needs to be replaced with a shorter decay tank but it's still sweet to have. I'll get around to that when i find 25 bucks.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I love my C1 but tend to play the Tweaker more often. The Tweaker is super flexible but nothing does the Vox thing like, well a Vox. I think the C1 is a terrific amp.

Gearaddict

:rockinAC15 new owner / user / lover here. I LOVE the tone controls on this amp. And the two channels operate very differently. All the tone cut does is either "cut the treble adding bass" or "cut the bass adding treble". Simple really. It works the same on both channels. I like the normal channel for delicious breakup tones and the boost channel for tailoring in my clean tones. Let your ears decide the best setting, based on what guitar you are using. So far, I can't unplug my strat with DiMarzio Area pickups. I'm kicking myself in the arse, for waiting this long to get a Vox. There is nothing in this world like one. It's the tone I've been chasing for as long as I can remember.

hearmecrybaby

the tone cut is placed at the end of the preamp (vox says its in the power amp but that doesn't make sense). basically when you get a tone you like but want to take some of the edge and treble off, use the tone cut.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom