AC15C1 with G12H30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dale, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Dale

Dale Member

How does this change the tone of the Ac15C1 over the Greenback or a Blue?

TIA .

2. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

3. Dale

Dale Member

I thought the G30H had more bass than the greenback. No? Brighter than a Blue? really ... hum. I do not need brighter for sure!

4. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a Blue but I do have a Red Fang which is the same basic idea. The RF is more "scooped" in the midrange than the G12H30, but IMO the G12H30 is a fairly bright speaker in and of itself, more "in your face". The RF is more "tinkly" if that makes sense. I love the G12H30 though- it has an upper midrange "kerrang!" sound that is awesome. Yes, it will probably have more bass than a greenback. I think it sounds great with a Vox, but you will have to try to know if it suits your liking.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, the Blue is a different beast entirely.

Going from a Greenback to a G12H30, it will have a bit more top end and more bottom end, but not in a way that makes it sound lacking in mids. The G12H30 is a bit more scooped sounding, but not nearly what I'd actually call scooped. The Greenback is kinda all about warm mids while the G12H30 is more about being balanced and sounding a little more hi-fi... though I still wouldn't call it hi-fi. Just hi-fi compared to the Greenback.

The Blue sounds totally different. Quite a bit of top end and it sounds thinner than the Greenback or G12H30 until it his the point it wants to driven at which point, it sounds pretty glorious.

6. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

If you go to the Celestion specs page you will notice that the frequency chart for the G12H30 and the Blue are nearly identical. Though similar in frequency, they do respond very differently due to the different magnet construction.

7. Dale

Dale Member

I was looking at their respective charts. I figured there was something that made them sound different in spite of the similar charts. I was not sure how or what though. Maybe I should just get an Egnator 1x12 and see how things work.