AC15CC speaker swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I pulled the trigger on an AC15CC blem yesterday. Assuming they find it in the warehouse and it makes it here I'm already considering swapping out the Vox Wharfdale speaker (well, maybe not immediately). I have a nice Peavey Sheffield 1x12 cab and I'm wondering if the Vox speaker is higher quality/sound than the sheffield. I figure I could put something really nice in the AC15CC, then start using my Peavey cab as a testing ground for speaker swaps starting with the Vox speaker.
    I don't know how to replace speakers, but it can't be that difficult right? (I can solder :D)
    So what is THE quintessential Vox speaker? Celestion Alnico Blue? Someone is selling a Vox with a Gold in it which might be a nice speaker too. But they are expensive as hell, even used. What are my cheaper alternatives for sweet Voxy chime in the AC15CC for less coin? Let's hear your opinions.

EDIT: Is there someone here that does some type of mod's to the AC15CC to make them better, quieter, more reliable, etc...? I thought I remember reading a thread that there are some fairly substanstial improvements that can be made to these amps. Please let me know if you've heard.

2. holyears

holyears Member

Weber Blue Dog = Great Speaker/Vox Chime/Less Coin

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

A friend of mine here in Santa Fe that builds amps has an AC30CC that he replaced the speakers with those Celestion Neo vintage 12's and they have great chime...they are light too, and not to expensive...The Wharfdales he pulled out of that amps are some of the worst guitar speakers I've ever seen...they look like they were made in India on a Friday..

4. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

the tubes first will make a huge difference, and because there is only four of them, you can spend a little more and get some real decent ones.

then for the speaker, get the gold for sure, but the blue would def be next! they made to be with each other. but im me and your you.... see if you can try a few cabs at local shop maybe to test first before your shell out hard earned cash.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

If I get new tubes (same type obviously) do I need to have the amp rebiased? I thought I read somewhere this is not the case with this amp (not sure). If I do need to rebias I'd probably take it into the shop which means I'd probably see if there are more mods that might make it sound even better. I guess I should at least break it in at home before changing anything - I'm quite certain the new tubes and a better speaker will make this shine.

6. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

A cheaper alternative to a celestion blue/gold would be the Eminence Red Fang. I have one coupled with a greenback in my AC30CC2 (ditched the wharfedales) -- but before I did that, I retubed it with JJs all the way around.

A buddy of mine has the late 90s TB/6 with greenbacks -- sounds killer.