AC15CC-Which Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Last Rebel, Jan 17, 2008.

1. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

If you were going to buyan AC15CC would you buy the Alnico Blue one, or save 300 and go with the Wharfdales?

The pros of the Wharfdales are obvious, an extra 300 in my pocket, but will the Blue be worth an extra 300?

If all else fails, what are some other AC15 style amps in this price?

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

You could always pick up the wharfdale model, see how you like it, then try a Weber Blue for half the cost of a Celestion if the time comes?

3. Strat

Strat Member

Go with the Blue...trust me.

or you COULD check the archives...discussed to death

4. dave s

dave s Member

My CC2 came with the Wharfdales. I swallowed really hard and went with the Celestion Blues. Did get a deal because they were second-hand, but no regrets.

The amp sounds fantastic and the nasally whine that couldn't be EQ'd out of the Wharfdales is gone. It's been replaced with the really sweet compressed top end of the Blues.

Paying that kind of money for speakers is a tough nut to swallow, but I'm certainly happy with the results.

dave

5. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Eminence Red Fang is another option. It's a fairly good approximation of the Blue I think.

6. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

I just popped a Weber Bluedog into mine and I'm really blown away by the sound. I'm now in the process of installing a custom wound output transformer... A local amp tech/builder has told me the Weber is the best speaker he's heard and in combination with the custom transformer the sound will be killer.

7. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Buy the one loaded with the Wharfedale, then just buy a Blue to put in it for $249. You'll have saved around $100, and you'll either have a spare speaker or a Wharf to sell. You should be able to get an AC15cc off the floor somewhere for $550.