AC15CC1 Modders - Other resources/mods than GuitarPug? Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rattle&Hum, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

I just picked up an AC15CC1 that is primed for modding... It already had the "bright" cap clipped, JJ's installed (preamp, PI & power tubes), Accutronics Reverb tank, and FedEx will deliver a Celestion Gold on Wednesday. Tone Cut, V1 Plate Resistor, MM/Heyboer Choke, Standard/Custom EQ (w/ switch), and Sozo Capacitors are already on the to-do list.

So far, GuitarPug.com seems to have the best (and most comprehensive) list of AC15CCx mods. Are there any other worthwhile mods/sites out there that I may not know about?

I'm also considering installing a tube-buffered effects loop - like London Power's or even Weber's. Both loop circuits are straight forward and the entry point seems clean (just before the PI). Are any experienced modders able to provide advice or insight as to whether or not I should procede with it?

2. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

3. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Mine had a Blue, not a Gold.

I didn't go so far as to add an effects loop. I did a three way bright switch, coupling caps, v1 plate resistors, reverb tank, cut control. I never got around to doing the standard/custom mod.

That was a great sounding little amp.

I don't know how much you'd gain in a little amp like the AC15 by installing a loop, depending on how you run the thing.

4. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

That's just the thing... I'm rarely in a venue where I can open up even an amp this small. I'll generally run it with a little hair from the preamp and throw some effects in front of it. I'd love to have my delays and verbs in a loop... Pretty straight-forward.

I really liked the AC30CC1 I had a while back, and had a chance to compare the two side-by-side. Overall, similar but different. The AC15 had a very nice "woody" character to it that I really liked (no matter what speaker was in it).

How did you perceive the changes the mods made to your amp?