AC15CC1 Troubles... amp geniuses, your help is needed :(

treeuh

Hey guys, I need some help with my beloved AC15CC1...

Keep in mind, I'm a tube know-nothing... all I know is that tube amps sound good and you have to crank them to get the best sounds.

That said, my amp is not working. The fuse blew so I replaced it (apparently the fuses blowing on this amp is not an uncommon problem); however, the replacement immediately blew as well. I haven't changed the tubes since I got it two years go (I know, I know, may the amp gods strike me down), so would that solve my problem?? Or is there something more diabolical hiding in the chassis?

skunx

Silver Supporting Member
Bad power tubes will do this. I'd try changing them out first.

skunx

Silver Supporting Member
I had JJ's in mine when I had it and thought they sounded great. I didn't try any others. I also had JJ EL84's in both my classic 50 and Tiny Terror as well and never had any issues.

Ming Chow

Mine came with EHX tubes. The I swapped them for some JJ tubes. The JJ dirtied it up a little more.

nnick

Hey guys, I need some help with my beloved AC15CC1...

Keep in mind, I'm a tube know-nothing... all I know is that tube amps sound good and you have to crank them to get the best sounds.

That said, my amp is not working. The fuse blew so I replaced it (apparently the fuses blowing on this amp is not an uncommon problem); however, the replacement immediately blew as well. I haven't changed the tubes since I got it two years go (I know, I know, may the amp gods strike me down), so would that solve my problem?? Or is there something more diabolical hiding in the chassis?

I had the same issue with my AC30CC. It was a bad rectifier tube that caused the fuse to keep blowing. I replaced all the tubes with JJ's and it sounded great and never blew a fuse again.

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
Don't change those power tubes yet -- your culprit (more than likely) is your GZ34 rectifier tube. Get a good slo-blow fuse, pop in a new sovtek rec and it should work fine. I've done this three times to three different amps.

stratocaster

Don't change those power tubes yet -- your culprit (more than likely) is your GZ34 rectifier tube. Get a good slo-blow fuse, pop in a new sovtek rec and it should work fine. I've done this three times to three different amps.
The AC15CC has a solid state rectifier.

treeuh

that's a horse of a different color then -- put a tube one in? :) Get some SAG going.
Oh really? Please explain the process... is this something I can do on my own (preferably without the use of a soldering gun...)?

EDIT: or were you joking?

impactblue

Oh really? Please explain the process... is this something I can do on my own (preferably without the use of a soldering gun...)?

EDIT: or were you joking?
Prolly not simple....lol

The AC15's SS rectifier is designed to emulate some sag. Just replace the power tubes with JJs and see how you go.

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
well, if its a standard rectifier tube slot (same pins...yada yada) and there is space available, I don't see why you couldn't throw a rectifier tube in there.

treeuh

Okay, changed the tubes (brand new Gold Series GTEL84-S... it was the best my local GC had...) which was an interesting experience (first time I've ever done it)...

Turned it on- flash. The fuse blew again. Any other suggestions?

The tubes needed to be changed anyway so that's no big deal.

frquent flyer

When I had my Vox ac 15 I had the fuse blowing thing. I called Vox and spoke to a tech guy who said I could safely put in a #3amp fuse instead of stock #1. I never did have to do that as the fuse blowing ended by itself. I recently sold that great little amp .Oh ,yes I know that putting a larger fuse is frowned upon but thats what I was told.

Trending Topics