AC15CC1 with Black Fret Cloth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by voodoovox, Dec 23, 2005.

1. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I picked up my AC15CC from NorthCoast yesterday. I had Gary replace the brown fret cloth with the black. The amp sounds great and I really like black cloth. He is also making the amp available with fawn tolex. I saw his first fawn cab yesterday and it looks very good.

[​IMG]

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Killer looking amp man. I would love to see a picture of the AC15CC when it gets the Fawn version released to the public.

How does that thing sound?

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Amp looks great!

Gary rocks.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

looks great! ... but how does it sound?

5. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Wish granted:
    [​IMG]

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I am happy to report that is a marvelous sounding amp. I actually find that it has an excellent clean vox jangle to it and has that famous vox breakup that is boxy and tight all at once. This is a bright amp however - it sounds very much like an ac30tbx in my opinion. It sounds marvelous with buckers, p90's, single coil strat type pups and dynasonics. The master volume is effective but not magical. The trem has been improved over the ac30CC - more depth and greater speed range - it is a marvelous trem. The verb is the weakest link imho. It does not have the depth that the ac30CC has but still maintains that artificial high end pingy tail at the end of a note. I definitely would not suggest this thing for the verb. But if you want a great ac15 tone with great trem and a master volume this is an obvious choice. BTW I tried it with both the blue and the wharfedale speaker and elected to stick with the wharfedale - you get more bass response out of the amp with the wharf and in this 1-12 incarnation I think you need it. I also tried a weber silverdog but again the wharfie had more bass response and sounded best. I now have a spare bulldog - I am sure I will find a use for it somewhere sometime.

Here is my comparison to the 15tb:
    There seems to be a wider bandwidth of response in the tone of the CC. There is more bass, but also tighter less flabby bass but there is also more treble on tap. The midrange response is similar. The master volumes respond similarly also. The trems on both models are very good. The verb on the 15tb while not awesome is significantly more useable than on the 15CC. So you basically have an amp that has more bass response and is capable of more brightness but has worse verb . Also, to my ears the CC has slightly more clean headroom. The tb breaks up very soon. The CC has cleans on tap until about 40 percent of the way up on the volume. the 15CC sounds better with my les paul than the tb did, but my asat special tele sounded better with the tb than the CC. My telesonic really likes the CC also.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks for that quick review, it was very helpful the way you described the sound.

I have been looking at the AC15CC with some interest. I tried one in a local store. I found that I needed to turn the treble almost all the way down and the bass almost all the way up. But, I think this was because I wasn't really comfortable cranking the amp up in the store (I hate auditioning amps in stores.... subject of a different thread... hehe). Many amps I've played seem to really kick in at mid volume or higher and become fuller sounding, so I suspect that my really weird tone adjustments were because of playing at low volume. Do you find that it is more trebly at low volume as well? Maybe it was just me... Anyway, it's still on my list of possible amps to go for next.

8. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

North Coast put a lot of time in building that beauty, nice amp:AOK

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yeah, thanks, enjoy yours too. Gary had mentioned it was a bt of a learning curve for him on this one.

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yes, absolutely there is more brightness at the lower levels, and it is a bright amp. If you use super bright single coils this can be a bit much. For instance my ASAT Special is very bright. It sounds marvelous into darker amps, but through the 15CC it is too much. However, my buckers and my telesonic sound like magic through the CC. But the tone controls are interactive so you do not really get a very linear tone curve as you change the tones. I usually use the treble well below noon for most guitars with darker sounding ones used at noon. With my ASAT I turn the treble quite low for instance. This amp has two basic tones that kill- the clean jangle thang and the vox grind when all volumes are maxed. I have had much more expensive amps that only did these tricks and less well, however like all Vox amps the tone shaping options are limited by the interactive nature of the eq. I am very pleased however with the amp, the low idle noise level, the wide and complex chordal response, and the grinding leads.

11. v-verb

v-verb Member

Rich, are yuo back from the west? Nice amp!!

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

How does the AC15CC sound with pedals? I'm curious, as I'm looking for a good, clean headroom 1x12 combo to be used with a Radial Tonebone Classic, and 12 other pedals. I'm looking for a good amount of clean headroom, as indicated on another thread I put up about this. I'm thinking of selling a PV Classic 30, which can be unreliable due to a poor internal design.

13. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I have only tried 2 pedals - a sparkle drive and a mr vibrato pedal- both sound great. This thing will not have more clean headroom than a peavey classic 30.

14. pyt

pyt Member

I played one today down at my local music store. I agree it's a bright amp. With a tele you can roll the treble all the way off and the bass all the way up and it sounds normal. Which is kinda weird, but the interactive tone controls are just that way. I could tell with a darker sounding guitar the tone controls would be adjusted differently.

With the master full up, there was great clean sound with the volume up about 1/3rd. At about 1/2 up was where the good distortion came in. After 1/2 up, I was not that impressed with the distortion. Kinda trashy sounding.

The master volume did a good job taming the volume from full up to about 1/2 up. Any lower than that and it started sounding thin.

The amp I tried had a ceramic speaker and I actually forgot to try out the reverb and trem.

All in all, it seems to be a good amp for the money. But it's not as good as the Matchless Spitfire I once had.

15. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Spent more time with the 15CC today. A/B/C'd it with my lightning and spitfire and I have to say they are apples to oranges to bananas. The lightning and spitfire are frankly every bit as bright as the 15CC - you get way more mids with the spitfire and lightning. Both the 15CC and the lightning get trashy sounding if you crank them with high output pups- with low output pups both can be cranked without those results. The spit holds it together for longer than the 15CC and the lightning but you get a wee bit less bass response from the spit. The spit gets a ton of swirling harmonics followed by the lightning and the 15CC not lagging to far behind. The mv on all 3 seem to function quite similarly. You also get more eq control with the lightning than the spit, the 15CC gives you more eq control than the spit but not as great a range as the lightning. I personally generally prefer lower output and not extremely bright pups through all 3 (although I married to my G&L asat but that is an exception to my rule). All 3 sound awesome with my telesonic and lp, the lightning takes my asat special best, and they all sound about the same in terms of brightness with my strat (van zandt pups). They all 3 serve a unique purpose for me since my telesonic rocks with the CC, my lp is magic with the spit and my asat sounds great with the lightning. Can't really say one is better than the other but if I had to choose I would take the lightning since the eq-ability is more flexible and since I sure love the asat. I could heartily recomment all 3 depending on your guitar choice, but would still take my Kingslet d30 to any gig before any of these because of it s huge range of eq options, and tonal palettes. For recording these 3 little amps - the 15CC, the spit and the lightning are aces and work like magic frankly.

Here is a soundclip where the 15CC is used for rhythyms and the lead lines are les paul through a spitfire (no vocals for your tonal (dis)pleasure):
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=354471&songID=3265905

16. morgan

morgan Guest

Nice clip! It definitely sounds like a vox. I have an ac15tbx that I absolutely adore. The 15cc to me isn't as lush as the tbx IMO, kinda thinner and less harmonically-rich. Still a very nice amp (especially for the price), but not as sweet as the tbx to my ears.

Really, that clip is awesome.

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Thank you for that!
    Yeah the 15tbx for sure has a thicker tone (though not with more bass) maybe chewier or rounder in the low mids and highs? But I really dig the 15CC also. Not sure I would take one over the other...is it wrong to wish to own both? Seriously though they both sound better or worse with different guitars it really wouldn't be that redundant to have both...but to find a 15tbx for a reasonable price these days is getting harder!