Ac15hw1x vs......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gatorplayer, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Gatorplayer

Gatorplayer Member

Started looking around at Vox Amps...need something in the 15 watt range..good for playing out...will mic it and at home...help me understand the major differences in the following:
    AC15 HW1X
    AC15HW1
    AC15C115W

Is it really worth upgrading to the handwired? My ear is pretty good but if it is only a minor difference in tone new tubes and possibly a speaker might handle it. thanks

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

i kept my budget by getting the AC15HW1 with the greenback loudspeaker and haven't regretted the decision yet. The Handwired is a lot more full and loud than the AC15c1. The components and the techniques used in the construction far outpace the AC15c1, thus the Handwireds are about 3 to 4 times the cost. The AC15c1 is a very good amp at 400 bucks, really probably the best at that price, but it is not quite the same as the AC15HW1. If the Blue is very important to you, just buy one in the aftermarket and replace the greenback (and sell it) for much cheaper than the AC15HW1x.

3. Gatorplayer

Gatorplayer Member

Thanks, I may unload a Marshall and the handwired would be within reach...sounds like the AC15c1 is good but if I can swing it the handwired is the way to go.

4. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

Check into the ac15h1tv as well, The combination of the larger cab and alnico blue is just fantastic! You can find em used from$800 and the ef 86 side is just a plus!

also something you cant do with the ac15c1 is bridge the channels, which Is a must for me, It just adds another dimension to the tone.

5. Raccoon

Raccoon Active Member

I play both the ac15hw1 and ac15c1 quite a bit.

The ac15hw1 is a noticeable improvement over the ac15c1... not that the c1 isn't bad.. with a tube change it sounds decent as well.

I prefer the greenback to the blue... I'm not looking for that classic vox sound though.

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

you can with a Boss LS2 pedal, easy done