AC15tbx vs AC15C1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmydeez, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Anyone compare the two... I have a AC15tbx that I like lot. However I am about to record a new record and any extra cash would be awesome. So selling the AC15tbx and picking up a C1 has come across my mind.

Just wondering if anyone has played both and what they think.

2. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I haven't side by side compared them but I owned a AC15TBX and really liked it, the build quality seemed better. The C1 will not have the blue either. I would keep the TBX if I were you. I miss mine, fine amps.

3. Jimmydeez

Yeah... I was thinking a red fang in the C1.

There are a few differences that I like on the C1 though. The normal channel, tubes are easier to get at and they are chassis mounted.

I hear the verb and trem are better on the tbx but honestly they are nothing to really write home about.

If I could get a AC15 style amp with a blue, master volume, and the swart verb/trem I would be in heaven.

4. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

If you are happy with the sound I would leave well enough alone. The TBX will hold its value. I have heard swapping the reverb tank will fix that up on it. Seems like they put a cheap one in there. I do like the trem on the TBX

5. Jimmydeez

Interesting... I never thought of swapping out the verb tank. Do you have any info on that? Or know where I can find it?

Thanks

6. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I never got round to doing the verb tank swap on mine before I let it go so I am not the best authority on which one to switch to. I just remember someone at the time telling me upgrading the tank would make an improvement.

7. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I AASed really hard for a TBX twice and ended up selling the amp both times. Really didn't think the verb was anything special, but the trem was good.
    If you're looking for the sound, but don't need to own a VOX, a Burriss Royal Bluesman is your amp.

8. Jimmydeez

No need for a Vox... Just want to vox tones. The Burriss looks awesome. I would love to have that amp. I already have a 1x12 I could use with it. Hmmmm.

Sadly it wouldn't save me any cash.

9. Voxguy76

Voxguy76 Member

Here's a gunshot comparison I did a little while ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=957880

Soundwise, the C1 was alot louder than the TB. Probably the solid state rectifier over the tube rectifier. Cleans were cleaner on the C1, but the TB had a smoother overdriven sound (keep in mind speakers new vs old broken in Alnicos)
    Really didn't like the closed back of the C1, and didn't like the way the tubes were mounted onto PCB and the speaker being hard wired in.