• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

AC20 Deluxe question

mdmack

I have had my AC20 Deluxe for about a year now and lately ive had some tube problems. I noticed my old tubes getting a little weak and I know these amps are biased hot so I ordered a new set (el84) from TubeDepot. Well I replced the first time and all seemed well for about 2 weeks then about 2 songs into a practice before a gig my amp started this terrible buzz/click so I imediately turned my amp off but one of the tubes was actually broken (it was very obvious that the buzz/click happened at that instant and not before), well I always carry an extra old set (the ones I had previously pulled out) so I put them in and everything seemed fine. I have also heard stories about getting bad tubes and figured I just got a bad set so the next day I ordered 2 more sets from tube depot, got them a few days later and put a set in. Well again everything seemed fine for a few weeks then at a gig on monday i noticed a buzz/click (not near as bad as the first time) so I put the old trusty pair i originally pulled out back in and played the gig just fine. So today as paranoid as can be I put the other set in and turned my amp on for a few hours to let them get hot (standby on) and "break in" (ive heard mixed feelings on wether this break in period makes a difference but I do it anyway just bc I have the time). Anyways I went in and turned the standby off and just me being paranoid about the last ones being bad I flipped the stanby off (yes my cab is plugged in) and everytnig seemed fine, but out of curiosity I tured the volume up all the way and noticed a moderate hiss (i have never turned my volume past 1:00 because thats where I use it so I have no past experience to compare it to). Now I know tube amps hiss its the nature of the beast and hopefully I am being paranoid but now that I turned the volume back down I still notice the hiss, not as bad of course, but ive never noticed it before. I put the old tubes I originally pulled out back in to see if they hissed as well and they do. So my question is what could be my problem?

could other tubes be causing this hiss? rectifier or preamp tubes?
do i need to contact joe or am I just being paranoid?

kirkham13

Email manufacturer for new tube recommendations. I typically buy nos tubes off ebay, they last longer and sound better. Do some research as well. It's possible your amp could have other issues but unlikely.

mdmack

I am and have always used JJs and yea I just dont want to waste joes time if its just a tube issue. I put a full new set in (power and pre) and it seems to be fine, but if it happens again ill call joe and send it his way.

Top Bottom