• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

AC30 as an extension cab?

Optimus Rhyme

hey guys, looking for same advice here. I have an AC30C2X with the Alnico Blues. Some times I like to use the amp as an extension cab with other amp heads. I'm thinking of adding a jack permanently at the back of the amp that will allow me to just plug a head into the speakers.

Right now when I do it, I have to pull the back off and add spade connectors to the empty speaker terminals and the spade connectors are soldered to a jack.

So I'm looking for a more permanent solution to just solder the wires right to the speaker tabs and drill a hole in the back for the jack.

Do you think there is any issue having that extra jack permanently attached while using the AC30? I can't imagine there would be, especially after looking inside a Marshall 1960A cab and seeing the rats nest of wiring in there.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I keep a "junction box" in all my combo amps. I make them. 2 jacks, an enclosure, and some wire.

It's basically just 2 jacks wired together and mounted in an enclosure that I then mounted to the back of the rear panel. This allows me to do a few things:
-Run an attenuator with the amp very easily (speaker out >> speaker cable >> attenuator >> speaker cable >> junction box >> hard wired lead to internal speakers)
-Use the speakers in the amp as a cab for a head (speaker out of head >> speaker cable >> junction box >> hard wired lead to internal speakers)

Or...just keep it in your cable box. I like having mine mounted so the wires aren't stressed or pulled.

misa

Silver Supporting Member
Is the amp output from the chassis hardwired on these or do they come out of a 1/4" jack? In my past AC30s the speakers are wired up with a 1/4" male at the end that plugs into a 1/4" female on the underside of the chassis, but I'm not sure how the C2 is setup. If that was the case, it may be easiest to simply get one of these and then plug the male speaker wire on one side and the male speaker cable from the amp head to the other. Not as permanent of an installation, but it works fine and doesn't require modifications.

I've thought about modding my effects loop jacks to be a patch between amp and cab since I never use the loop. There's probably room to add new jacks too. Just keep a patch cable in when used as a combo.

misa

Silver Supporting Member
To answer the question the C2 is hardwired, the HW isn't though.
If that is the case, I like the little junction box idea. It requires less modification to the cabinet and would be a bit cleaner when using and transporting the amp as a combo (you don't have the amp output cable reaching around and sticking out the back to plug into the jack).

The C2 isn't a typical open back. There's a vented back panel and a small wood panel on the bottom. I think that bottom panel could be removed and left off to place a junction inside, but not certain what tonal impact that could have in the bass. The top panel contains the loop and external speaker jacks and has to stay in place. The HW isn't designed like that though, kinda odd on the C2.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Optimus, IF those Blues are hardwired to the amp in the cabinet, you need to modify that before you start using the in-cab speakers with another amp. Just to be safe, it is not advisable to run an amp into speakers that are hooked up to another amp. (;^)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom