1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ac30 boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hw2nw, Oct 18, 2005.

1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

hey guys! I have an ac30 that I want to give some more grit when I dime the master. Any suggestions for a good overdrive that will preserve the great characteristics of this amp.

Oh and I'd prefer not to break the bank TOO bad on this one.

Thanks!

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I have some BJF pedals on the way that I plan on using with my AC30. I'll get back to you after I have a chance to experiment a bit.

I do like my Fulltone Fat Boost with the AC30, however. Do you want a clean boost or more overdrive? What sound(s) are you going for in particular?

Jeff

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

well i have one of the new AC30CC's, and I can dial in some amazing cleans. I'd like to get something that will take me from a "dirty clean" into a pretty chunky rhythm tone enough for some modern indie rock stuff. I play a lot of open chords and arpeggios.

4. jcshirke

Do a search for boost pedals, and you can probably get a lot of info. Some of the most commonly recommended pedals are: Xotic RC, AC, or BB pedals; Fulltone Fat boost; Z vex SHO; Timmy pedal set as a boost, and probably several more that I'm forgetting at the moment. If you want to spend more bucks, look at the BJF pedals--Red Rooster Booster, and Baby Pink Booster (or is it Little Pink Booster? I forget).

Jeff

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Dood...Hotcake...period:D

6. iainmc

iainmc Member

i gotta agree with big bob - the best pedal for an Ac-30 is a hot cake - it was designed for that amp.

i really like my klon in combination with the hot cake & my ac30. but if i had to have just one for that amp, it would be the hot cake.

i didn't really like the sho (ok i have a super duper) with the ac-30 all that much.

personally, i like the fulldrive 2 with it more than the fat boost - but thats because i used it a bunch with my ac-30 before i got the hot cake.

/i

7. jcshirke

Who carries the Hot Cake in the US? Or where can people order them?

Thanks.

8. D.G.

D.G. Member

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

BJF Emerald Green is made for that combo too. I've got one on the way!

10. jcshirke

EGDM is in the mail as I type this. Expecting it any day. :dude

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The Timmy would be great too as it's the most transparent boost/mild OD I've ever tried. It can add grit in a very non imposing way.

12. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I've played most of the pedals mentioned here through VOX amps. Of those, I still currently own Hotcake, Klon, Super Duper, Timmy, '03 FDII. For what it's worth, my fave booster (by far) with my AC30 and AC15 amps is the Prescription Electronics Germ; excels for clarity and definition, even with complex chord voicings.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, all of these sound like great options. a few are a bit out of my price range. I was wondering if maybe any of the cheap ODs can achieve some surprising results on the AC30?

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Timmy's only $100. You'll probably have to wait though. Long wait list.

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

absolutely the perfect pedal for this. I love mine.

on the budget, the timmy is probably a great option or some kind of rangemaster clone.

16. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

For stupidly low bucks, an MXR Micro Amp sounds really cool with a pushed AC. I've seen used Micro Amp stomps for as low as 40 clams.