AC30 CC2 with bright cap mod? - Anyone? Clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixstring531, Jun 22, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

So I've learned that to do this one you just drop out the C13 cap (which shant be hard to do).

For those that have done this -- can you still dial in some treble on the TB channel? Are there any sound clips out there of a stock vs mod in respect to the bright cap removal?

Anyone with info please fill me in. I don't want to drop it out only to find out I miss it. I like my CC2 but it does have a slight treble bite if you know what I mean.

2. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I don't know of any specific sound clips anywhere but i carried this mod out on my CC2 and the TB channel is now useable, yes you can still dial in some treble and the TB channel is still brighter than the normal channel, before the mod i never used the TB channel, now i love it.

3. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I too am interested in clipping the brite cap in my ac15.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

When I had my AC30CC1 I first changed the bright cap on the TB channel from a 120pF to a 68pF and I liked the results, but I still felt the amp was too bright, even with les pauls, so I removed it all the way and the amp was still plenty bright. It also took Overdrive pedals better without the bright cap. I don't have any clips, but its easy to put back if you don't like it. I also changed the bright cap on the normal channel, the brilliance switch puts a 220pF bright cap in the path. I put a 68pF for on all the time and replaced the 220pF so that the switch adding the additional 68pF.

Lyle Caldwell was the one who suggested and described these mods.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

why not just plug into the normal channel and blend in some top boost for more treble as needed??

6. BadCompany89

BadCompany89 Member

Why not just use the tone cut in the poweramp?

7. sixstring531

I just did the mod -- pretty easy--I ended up taking both circuit boards off to physically get to the cap. I did the desolder/suck excess off and try to push it through, but that didn't work, so I took the board off (via unscrewing all of the knobs) and finished C13 off with a pair of needle nose.

Really an easy mod and the amp sounds fine ( I haven't had time to really hear much of a difference)
    If you have any questions on how to do it, just give me a PM.

8. Wagster

Wagster Member

I did that to my CC.Here's a clip through the Top Boost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrBtVzfwkw&fmt=18
    It sounds much better w/o the cap.I have a theory as to why.The old AC30's sounded good with 120pF because of the old Mullard 84's.They were much warmer than today's production tubes.While the CC is period correct to the JMI in this area it's just too much IMO.I also added a 68pF to the normal channel and brilliant switch.I also changed the couple caps to Sozo vintage and dropped in a Mercury Woden o/p transformer.Lyle Caldwell was a huge help with this.I highly recommend him for AC30 mods.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  9. sixstring531

Good heavens you can play!!!

10. Wagster

Wagster Member

Thanks for the kind words.So how are you liking the the CC w/o the bright cap?

11. sixstring531

Well, I got everything put back together right before I took it all to church to play for the evening service (low low volume) so I really couldn't tell anything. I will to some rockin after work today and get back to you on the sound.

Let me just say, the screws in an ac30 are made of hardened wax! They are the softest metal I've had the pleasure of ruining. Seriously, I think I can strip them with my fingernails!

12. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Damn! I tried the bright clip mod again yesterday afternoon and I'm quite certin I still missed it (no cap fell out, not much of a change if any in treble/distortion fizziness on the Top Boost side :(
    This time I took all the knobs off, unscrewed all the freaking washers, unplugged the ribbon cables attaching the boards <scarey> but I did NOT take out the main board so I could never get the board where the pots are located to really see if the cap was out or not... so, I go reading this again and I see you even removed both boards to get to the damn thing. Isn't that dangerous?

-- Anyway, it's going to Lyle early next week. I'm hoping the mods he does in combination with a full tube compliment upgrade (~$100) make this baby sing. At this point I will be in booteek $$$ territory so I'm fully invested in this amp. I did NOT however go for the Mercury Magnetics OT - too expensive this time around.
    Anyone have a before and after experience with the Lyle Caldwell mods on their CC? How about a modded CC vs. a Hayseed?

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

You really don't need to remove anything but the rear panel to do the bright mods.

Remember that "solder suckers" are worthless. Desoldering braid is the better option.

But I'll get your amp sorted out, Gasp100.

Here are clips showing some changes, including the bright cap mod difference:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=391163

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Holy crap! You can play too bro! ;)
    I did use desoldering braid and the second time around I did get one side to punch through with a pin so I think I did get one side of the bright cap out afterall.
    On a side note I just ran this back into a 1x12 with an unknown, well broken in 10 year old Alnico <might be a mojo speaker?>. What an amazing difference. This amp needs new tubes badly as well... microphonics and rattle abound when getting the amp to volume using the internal speaker.
    Anyway, thanks for those clips Lyle - I think this amp is going to be kicking once it's all said and done.

15. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Member

Just finished the treble cap mod. If you havent done this to your AC30CC stop what you are doing and do it now! Thanks Lyle! This is something Vox needs to take note of and start doing from the beginning. I havent heard anyone say that has done this mod that it is not a huge improvement.

16. MoCo2k

MoCo2k Member

Hello everyone,

I've got a AC30 CC2 (I guess it is a very new model from 2009 or 2008) and I also wanted to do the bright cap mod, but I'm not quite sure, which one is the C13 capacitor.

I've made a picture and marked the one, I think that should be the C13.

http://213.239.201.213/~moco/files/temp/ac30_01.jpg

Just let me know, if it's right.

Any help is very appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  17. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

That's it. They will usually just fall down into the chassis after you hit it with a solder sucker. Then just retrieve the cap and toss it in the trash.

18. Wagster

Wagster Member

That will make a huge difference. If it's too mellow for your taste try a .68pF mica instead of the stock 120pF ceramic cap.

19. MoCo2k

MoCo2k Member

Thanks for the help!

I just did it and it seems to work fine for me.

But I can't drive the amp at higher volumes here at home so I'm excited how it will sound with the band.

20. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

After I broke in my speakers in my AC30CC2, I actually find myself wanting more treble. Just play that amp, the bite should disappear.