AC30 - Filter Cap Effect?

dbun

I've got a Hayseed 30 (essentially a 60's AC30). I had it serviced recently and my tech wanted to increase the filter cap values.

What tonal effect does the filter caps have? I don't really want to go swapping things out on a whim, as I really like the amp as it is.

I am fortunate that the church I play at has an isolation room with isolation boxes backstage for guitar amps, so I can play the amp cranked right up. He said that if I play with the amp cranked (as I do) then bigger filter caps will work better.

What should I do?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
He's probably referring to the problem Vox amps have with ghost notes when cranked ( a dissonant sound in the background). Increasing the choke and filter caps might help, but there's no free lunch-double check with Hayseed to see if the PT can tolerate the bigger cap load.

dbun

Thanks for the reply.

I'll double check, but the trannies on the Hayseeds are HUGE, so I doubt there would be any issues.

Even the tech was surprised at how big the trannies were....and was also impressed with the build quality of the amp :)

pdf64

For instrument amps, it's generally tube rectifiers that impose a constraint on the reservoir cap value.
If you can't hear ghost / wolf notes when the amp is cranked in an isolation booth, then I can't perceive benefit in a mod to fix a non-existent problem.
Pete

Trending Topics