ac30 GAS. I have it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by david(j), Feb 19, 2012.

1. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

snuck up on me again. It comes and goes, but this time I'm thinking about options.

I wish the ac30c2 came in a 1x12. I want an fx loop and 30 watts, otherwise I'd look at the ac15.

after a lot of trial and error, the vox stuff is just instantly inspiring to me to play through.

any sympathizers?

2. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Vox amps were always my "home base" so I sympathize with you. Although I did get in touch with Mike Moody a while ago and he built me an amazing ac15 style amp!

3. Griz

Griz Member

If you have a bad case of AC30 GAS, there is no cure other than snagging yourself an AC30. Doctor's orders.

To get the real AC30 experience, though, I think you might want to challenge yourself to try to live without the effects loop. That famous barking overdrive and the shimmering "blizzard of nails" sound that an AC30 will produce may or may not be available, depending on what's in the loop and whether it's a series or parallel loop.

Any AC30 is bound to bring a smile, though.

:aok

4. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

this is what I'm thinking...:bonk

5. Creedasaurus

Creedasaurus Member

Get one and you will definitely be happy with it. I had a close call with selling mine this week. I was somehow blinded by the features and a tasty price on a Blackstar Soloist 60 1x12 that I have in the store I work at. So I got it and a guy was supposed to be buying my AC30CCH that day, but it fell through and thank goodness because I took my new amp to practice that night and it just didn't have the same responsive and organic feel to it. I immediately realized I was going to be keeping that AC30 for a good long time. I need to get a new Reverb tank and Power Tubes for it, but it is so worth it.

If anything, you could get yourself a 212 cab with some good speakers you like, get the head and if you ever find yourself needing a different sound, find another head of a different make and just swap heads when you feel like it. Thats all I do. Haha! :hiP

6. BuddyDog

BuddyDog Member

You can try looking for a used AC-30CC1, which has a single 12".

7. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

That 1x12 and effects loop thingy is making me think you should look into a Night Train 50

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

They're heavy and loud, but look and sound killer! Hard to beat an AC30 (or two) with Blues.

[​IMG]

9. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

you gotta have the 2X12 speakers - that's the sound

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Always a nice welcome home when I've been away from a good AC30.

11. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Ahhh I think I'm right there with the OP.

I've tried curing it by getting a Black Pearl 30 -and while that amp is delicious in it's own ways, I still have this sinking feeling that I really need a Vox to get that true AC30 tone.

So I have a question - the AC30CC2, the AC30C2, and the AC30HW2

Which one? Is the HW series worth the extra dollars to get a really really nice Vox sound?

Or can I get away with just getting a used CC2 or a used C2 and upgrade to Blues and be done with it?

And the diff between CC2 and C2 - noticeable?

12. billfoma

billfoma Member

Yeah, I have AC30 GAS too. I am in the process of trying to liquidate some stuff to get one.

13. mAx___

mAx___ Member

I had all three of the amps you are interested in. The difference between the CC2 and the C2 is huge. The HW series is worth every extra penny, no question about it. It's the one that stayed with me of all three.

But if I had to give you just one piece of advise it would be get anything but the CC2. It needs too many mods to sound right whereas the other two are great out of the box.

14. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Thanks for the response!

And that's exactly what I was afraid of. Damn!

Lots of used CC2's all over the place. Not many used C2's. And no used HW2's!

I've figured the new HW2 series was really the way to go - i played the AC15hw2x a long time ago and that's really what sent me down this spiral of AC30 gas. I just couldnt afford one, which is why i settled on the BP30.

I guess i'll just keep saving for a HW2 then...unless you think I can get away with a C2...but even then i guess i'll be wanting more...

15. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I loved my AC30HW, I HATED carrying it. If I go back to Vox it will be an AC15 which are still pretty hefty.

16. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Baaah GASing hard

Weight's not an issue - thankfully I'm still fairly young and in real good shape.

17. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Been a happy owner of the new[er] Vox AC15C1...it's really a great amp for around $600...with a speaker upgrade and a couple mods (still on my "to do" list) they just sing. I'd steer clear of the "CC" models too...the 15CC I played a few years ago was uninspiring.

I'm not an effects loop user though, so I can't speak to that topic.

I just picked up a Valvetech Hayseed 30 and will run it into a 1x12. Might consider that route, althought it might be a little more spendy than a stock AC30C

18. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Get a Hayseed 30 with the EF86 option; has a half power switch, sounds great with a variety of speaker and is extremely well hand built. I used to own the vintage deal and I can tell ya the Hayseed doesn't disappoint

19. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

LOL well not really an age or shape issue for me. Lazy and more of a Fender guy I think. NOTHING sounds like a good Vox though.

20. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

FYI, I am listing my brand new AC30HW2 (a month old) on the Emporium. I love the way it sounds, but it is too big and heavy for me (at 50, I'm getting to old for full-sized combos).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012