ac30 GAS. I have it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by david(j), Feb 19, 2012.

1. GA20T

GA20T Member

100% agree.

I suspect it's because folks just can't give them away. Mine spent months at a five-hundred bones asking price. There are and have been a half dozen of them in my local classifieds for some time now.

One can definitely "get away with" a C2 or C2x. Just try them and you'll be convinced. I do prefer the fawn and serviceability/mod potential of the hand-wired though. I've only compared the C2 (mine) with the AC30HW2x, and while they both sound fantastic, the greens are all-around more versatile for my needs. I'm also a long time user of the AC306/TBx (love that amp), but I've finally found a suitable replacement in the C2.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

the C2X sounds absolutely bitchin with a NOS tube upgrade. I've sure havent been left "wanting more". it's been my gigging amp for the last 2 years

3. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I think the CC absolutely kills the newer AC30C2! I've been gigging with the older CC for many years with zero problems. My bandmate has been through 3 of the newer versions, and finally gave up and bought an old CC and even with mods, a complete new tube set and new speakers it was still cheaper than a new AC30C2. Newer is not always better, they seem to have cut some corners on these new ones.

The older CC only need a few simple things done to them anyway, nothing major. Bright cap mod, new tubes and speakers and you have a much better amp than the new series. Not to mention an all birch cabinet on the ol' CC compared to the newer ones that are MDF. Also you have tube rectification on the CC, and the new ones are SS rec. The CC sounds like an AC30 should with lots of chime and jangle, the new C2s sound decent but not very AC30 like to me.

I've even put my old CC up against some of the boutique AC30 clones with people we've gigged with, and they are always impressed by it.

Now the newer handwired on the other hand wins hands down, and is on a whole different level than the CC or newer C2. Such a sweet amp, it's definitely next on my list!

4. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Haha that's what I've figured about the CC2s.

And, this sounds really silly, but the Fawn look for the HW2 really does it for me. REALLY does it for me. It's so clean and nice and sexy.

That's nice to know that one can definitely get away with the C2 though.

The only store around here I saw that had the new Hw2 doesnt actually distribute them - its more of a boutique/trade shop and was a used version of the ac15hw2x. That thing went quickly, cuz i havent seen it around since.

I wish GC would carry some nicer stuff in stock. I could always play the AC30C2...but i definitely want to A/B it against the HW2.

Thanks for all the info so far. I'll keep saving and see what happens down the road!

5. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Don't miss the one on the Emporium... $1350 I believe, one month old!

6. mmunguia

mmunguia Supporting Member

Get an AC30 Head, you can pair it with a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet. Its Much easier to carry the head separate from the cab (even if you get a 2x12). oh, wait a minute, I have a handwired head with the ef86 channel on the emporium :)

7. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Nooooo it's too soon for them to be in the emporium, i dont have the funds yet!

Can i press Pause while i save up money and then Resume when I have enough??

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i had a CC with blues
    such a beautiful amp and incredibly loud!

i ended up selling it because i literally could not pick it up or move it at all
    (bad leg)

it stinks but it turned into a piece of furniture because i just couldn't move it up and down stairs

9. 909one

909one Member

I currently have the AC30 obsession as well.
    Last weekend I went into Chicago Music Exchange and setup an AC30CC2 next to an AC30HW2. I really like the idea of having an amp with Reverb and Vibrato so I wanted to see if the CC2 sounded good enough to allow spending less money and having more features.

I pulled an AVRI Tele off the wall started with the CC2 first. Sounded pretty good. The reverb was really weak sounding though. I think my Van Amps Solemate sounds much better and deeper. The Vibrato sounded decent, but not necessarily better than the BYOC trem pedal that I already have. The tone was there, but it seemed to need to be tweaked more to get it sound good.

I plugged into the HW2 and instantly it was what I was looking for. The top end is there, but its a little rolled off. Not brittle. The amp seemed to not be as stiff. The normal channel on the HW2 was amazing. I liked it better than the top boost channel. Its voiced perfectly as-is. With the top boost channel I noticed more of a mid bump going on that i didn't like as much. However, I can see using an A/B switch and using the top boost channel as the lead channel, voicing it to cut through the mix more, then having the normal channel be the main channel. The added benefit of a footswitchable Hot/Cool switch was pretty awesome. Though it made things a little too hi gain sounding for me tastes. Though if you set it up right I can see it being very beneficial. I could see totally playing a show without an overdrive pedal and just using the amp for overdrive. The bypassible master volume is totally awesome. Flip it off to get the most headroom, but then turn it on to get a good sounding crunch at lower volumes. I doesn't really noticeably affect the tone of the amp at all when its on. In fact I think sorta sounds better with it on. It tames the high end a bit. The 15/30 watt switch is great option as well, but there is a noticeable freq response change when this is on. The amp seems to loose some bandwidth in the highs and lows and sounds more squashed. But that could be good for certain things. All in All this amp is really awesome and I would have bought it on the spot if I could have afforded it.