1. Junebug

Junebug Member

I've got a 2003 Vox AC30. I'm the original owner. I used to run it with a hotplate up until a few months ago. It only gets a few hours of use a week. Tonight while using it at very low volume as I have been for the last few months it started making an intermittent crackly popping noise. Any ideas on what's wrong? Does it need to go in the shop? I apologize if this is Tube Amp 101 stuff, been playing a long time but lacking in the technical dept.

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Hi Junebug, could be a couple things really, first thing to check would be the preamp tubes, I would try swapping in some known good ones and see if it goes away. Is it a loud popping sound, or more of a lower level crackly background noise type thing?

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

+1

Sounds like a preamp tube to me, too. Its an easy hypothesis to test first, anyway, and if the problem persists, then you'll have to delve deeper (look for possible loose connections, including cold solder joints).

- T

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Also, cleaning the preamp tube pins and sockets could do the trick.

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

How should pins and sockets be cleaned? With switch cleaner, as you would use for pots and such?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    That's fine. Check the FAQ on my website, under resources, for details.

7. Junebug

Junebug Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try some preamp tubes tonight; I'll report back. Also, some more facts: the noises are loud, not background and it seemed to start after the amp being on for 10-15 minutes, stopped when on standby. After turning off for a few minutes and turning back on the noises started up after acouple minutes, leading me to the conclusion that it's linked to the amp being good and heated up.

8. Junebug

Junebug Member

Really Hope I don't sound like a total idiot here, but how do you get to the preamp tubes on this thing? I'm nervous about poking around to much in there. I understand it can be dangerous. I can't even tell where they are.