AC30 Heritage demo soundclip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Jan 19, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I've been enjoying my new AC30HH Heritage so much, I felt I should record some sort of demo for you to enjoy/ignore (whichever you want !)
    I know my style is very different to a lot of AC30 users out there, but here it is anyway ;-

http://www.box.net/shared/static/8yupagkcgk.mp3

Guitar is a Les Paul with PAF-style pups. Cab is a rear-ported 2x12, loaded with G12-65s. All tones are completely from the amp. Only reverb and delay is added. No compression, no EQ fiddling
    Most of these tones are recorded using the EF86 channel, which I have to say I far prefer.
    Unfortunately, all tones were with the amp on the half power setting, and also attenuated 16dB with a Hotplate, due to volume constraints at home. The amp definately sounds fuller and more organic with less attenuation, but that is the only option I had at home.
    I'll be honest and admit that I'm not a huge fan of the amp's own higher gain tones. I get much nicer ones boosting with pedals, but on this recording the two higher gain "soloish" lines are purely from the amp (EF86 channel, max gain).
    For me, the amp excels at slightly breaking up tones, which are clean if you play light, but crunch into OD if you dig in.
    It's amazingly articulate, too. When the soundclip gets to the "chorus" bit there are 3 guitar lines all interlinking (and a 4th when the "solo" line comes in). With a lesser amp, it would have turned to mush, but with the AC30, I can hear each line articulately. Fantastic !
    See what you think.

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

You're right, i would never play an AC 30 that way, but i really like the way that clip builds.

3. jtindle

jtindle Member

Nice clip, really enjoyed it. I really like that tone. Can't wait to get my Hayseed 30 w/EF86 and see if I can get close to that.

Jeff

4. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I liked the recording. BTW... I'd play an AC30 the same way.

I have the AC15 Heritage Head and 1x12 cabinet. Amazing amps for the money, your recording sounds very similar. The blue in the 1x12 has a little more chime. I too am a more of a fan of the EF86 channel, but found one the amp and speaker started to break in the Top Boost channel is usable. At first it was a little harsh.

Seems to me the heritage series amps are great value. I am not sure how durable they will be in the long run, mine has had a few quirks already. But for now I very happy with it.

I run mine in a two amp or two head setup with an Orange Tiny Terror or a /13 JRT depending on the gig. The /13 is a "better" amp but the AC15HH hangs in there with it.

5. GuitarDude

GuitarDude Member

dig it alot man! i dig that style of playing man. very cool! great tones!

6. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Definitely the kind of thing an AC30 would suit. Very nice. I have the AC30 CCh and I was thinking I wish it had more chime. Listening to this clip, again, I'm thinking that there is some chime missing. Anyone else feel this way?

7. phalanges

phalanges Member

I enjoyed that.
    Nice work, solid tones and I was surprised that no pedals were used.

8. katarzis

katarzis Member

thanks for the demo.
    i would love to hear clean demo too.

9. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'll bear it in mind when I set it all up for recording again.

BTW, thanks guys for all the kind words !

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

11. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I liked it a lot. Thanks for posting!

12. trazan

trazan Member

It's a Les Paul though, not the first guitar I'd chose to get "chime"...

13. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

14. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

COOL!! So nice to hear an AC30 used like that instead of U2 clips. :)

Thanks for sharing that!!

S.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

16. jtindle

jtindle Member

What do you guys mean by "playing an AC30 THAT way? What is different about it that you would use another amp?

Thanks

Jeff

17. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

sounds like some of the later Edge tones to me! But I know what you are saying, that it's not another bad clip of Pride!

18. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

bump for a great clip and cool amp!

19. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

The AC30HH has more chime. I just got one over the weekend and I am running it through the same home-made cabinet (closed back 212 with, probably, V30s) I did when I had owned the AC30CCH.

The AC30CCH sounded a little rounded on the edges to me when I had it. Both heads were/are compared to my stock Top Hat Club Royale 212 (SS rectifier) combo.

The AC30HH makes the CR sound Marshally in the chime department (probably due to headroom?). It likes the handbuilt treble booster in the EF86 channel on its darkest setting. I also got the Fulltone FD2 Mosfet, which sounds good through both channels.

I tried out the head with its openback 212 cabinet against the AC30H2 (all Cele blues) for two hours using White Falcons (LTV; Dynasonic) and a noiselss Strat. I would have bought them both if I had the dough. OK, I would have bought all of the guitars, too!

20. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I love it. I got an AC30 CC this week and found a LOT of cool sounds in it. You did a great job.

It's probably the attenuator more than the Les Paul doing that.