• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

AC30 (JMJ) - Carb, Varidrive or Zendrive 2 ?

talpa

Gold Supporting Member
heard Paisley uses/used a ZD2 into Vox type circuits, amongst others.

would u prefer a Carb, Varidrive or a Zendrive 2 (12AT7 loaded) into Vox type circuits?

classic rock/alt-country stuff.

TA!

Last edited:

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
I have a JMJ30 and I never bonded with a Zen by itself through the JMJ. There was something in the high end that I never bonded with. I currently have a Barber CBU and just got a Gtown Holy Grail. I intended on selling the Grail but it sounds pretty good through my Magic Crossroads which is a modified AC15. The CBU sounds great as well. Both the JmJ and Crossroads use Scumnicos so the sound is very similar between the two.

talpa

Gold Supporting Member
knew u were a JMJ owner (me too) - and am sure we agree on how fierce an AC30 Matt's design is. just trying to put into that next zone. thought Carb and POT were the go-to AC30 pumps. got to find something for leads but still in classic rock vein.

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
knew u were a JMJ owner (me too) - and am sure we agree on how fierce an AC30 Matt's design is. just trying to put into that next zone. thought Carb and POT were the go-to AC30 pumps. got to find something for leads but still in classic rock vein.
My favorite pedals through the JMJ are Proanalog Dual drive, Kingtone Duellist, and almost any Barber LTD variant. I had a GC Red/black Zen that I used as a lead boost, but that was the only one I liked through the JMJ30. I could never bond with the rhythm tones, lead was fine. The Duellist is so damn versatile that would probably be my first choice. What speakers are you using?

talpa

Gold Supporting Member
My favorite pedals through the JMJ are Proanalog Dual drive, Kingtone Duellist, and almost any Barber LTD variant. I had a GC Red/black Zen that I used as a lead boost, but that was the only one I liked through the JMJ30. I could never bond with the rhythm tones, lead was fine. The Duellist is so damn versatile that would probably be my first choice. What speakers are you using?
my JMJ rig is NCM head cab w/ a NCM 2x12 on a vintage trolley loaded w/ '67 Vox silverbacks. bought the trolley/cab/silverbacks (as a set) many yrs. ago here on TGP - right when i placed my order w/ Matt. the cones are stock. no EF86 noise since the cab is isolated by the trolley..vintage glass in all my amps. this rig has Valvo EL84 & CV4004s. P90s kill.

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! Well looks like you got it covered. The new CBU does the Zen and a whole lot more. It's the most versatile D pedal I have ever used.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom