AC30 Owners Chime In: 2x12 Combo tough on tubes???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thisfire, Jan 9, 2008.

1. thisfire

thisfire Member

I made a post about this earlier but didn't get any answers. :(

So I've been seriously looking at these two options from Vox's somewhat new Heritage collection (either the AC30HH and the matching cab or the AC30H2 2x12 Combo). I'd much rather have the combo as far as ease of transport goes, but I've heard that Vox's combos are notorious for drastically shortening the lives of tubes...the speakers rumble the tube housing/circuit, and whammo. Apparently, this does not occur as often with the Head/Cab version.

Anyone have any insights? Thanks in advance!

2. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I think combos are always tougher on tubes anyway, no matter what combo (vs. head format).

I have had my Vox AC30CC2 for over 2½ years, no a single problem with preamp or poweramp tubes. I have all JJ's tubes which are very durable i have heard, seem fine to me.

The only problem with the amp i have had is its habit of eating rectifier tubes. After the second one went i put in Weber Copper Cap, that should solve it for my life time.

3. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Depending on how loud you play and how often has a big effect on the life of any amp's tubes, but especially combos when they are used in high volume situations.

Personally, I prefer a head/cab combination. Each piece is lighter. With a head you can easily try other speaker cabs. If the head goes down and you have access to another while it's being repaired, you can keep gigging, recording, etc. While recording you can keep a head in the control room while isolating the cab in another space.

I do have a couple of combos, but I get the most use out of my Bad Cat head and Egnater cab. Being able to isolate the head from the cab is a added pleasure for me.

Just my 2 cents. :BEER

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

You must be joking ! Have you ever tried lifting a 2x12 AC30 ? I like at least a 2x12 cab and I always go with a head and cab, instead of a combo for ease of portability.

5. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Old Vox AC30's had inadequate ventilation and the tubes would have short lives due to the heat inside the cabs. The Korg seriesof the '90's and recent CC series have addressed the ventilation issues and tube life has been greatly extended with these amps.