AC30 Quest - From Vox to Z to Bruno

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cap217, May 5, 2016.

1. cap217

cap217 Member

I'm sure the ac20 puts out about 25 or more watts. That's unfair to the speaker.

2. riscado

riscado Member

You're right it isn't that hard, the handwired ac15s are very cool amps.

3. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

That's perfect as the Z Wreck is only 30 watts. I have many cabinets dedicated to various amps. Most all of which are 100 watts. This cab is dedicated solely to the Wreck.

4. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Supporting Member

Awesome rig man, gorgeous amps!

5. cap217

cap217 Member

Another update to this as the OP...

I have finally reached the tone I have been searching for over the past 8 years maybe. You guys know all the amps I had but my current setup is a Z wreck head/cab and a Bruno UG30 head/DR Z cab. I tried running a Radial Big Shot ABY but the phase between the amps was reversed so it didnt sound right. The Big Shot has a polarity switch but you can only engage it with the ISO engaged which makes the amp super super dark and unplayable. So I went on a quest to find a cure and bought the Empress Buffer + and that solved all the problems. The Empress is actually an amazing pedal and I recommend it to everyone w a pedal board. I have a lot of pedals now and it has NO tone loss. Anyways, the Z and Bruno in stereo is perfect. I can run a little reverb on the Bruno and that makes it even better. If you run the Aqua Puss with it then you soften the attack a bit and get great delay. It feels like a 4x12 and has so much punch to it and clarity. It took forever but I reached the perfect tone for me. Too bad my style has changed and I rarely play anymore! But for good measure I have a Mark Kane Rocket coming to add to the Z wreck, Bruno, and AC30. Its overkill for sure.

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Note: A Dr Z Stangray is not modeled after a top boost AC30. the two sound very different.

7. cap217

cap217 Member

Its more on the normal channel of a AC30/4 w the ef86. I know you say they sound VERY different but they are close and in the same group for sure. I dont like ef86s though.