AC30 Users Who Gig Them - Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lennox Lewis, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

I've had an AC30 CC with blues for over a year or so, but have never gigged it. I want to try it out this weekend and was hoping to get some advise from those who have. With the AC30's versatility, it leaves several options. Use Normal channel? TB channel? AB Box and try switching between the two? Clean with pedals?

Also I'm wanting to use a LP and a Tele (or strat, haven't decided). Any tips on whether I should dedicate a channel for each guitar (and if so, which channel do you prefer with LP? Strat? etc), or will they match fairly well.

Obviously it depends on what sounds good to me, but I'm just wanting to get some ideas and advise. Thanks for any you have to share.

2. ronster

ronster Member

what kind of material does your band play?

My band plays originals in the vein of 70's Cheap Trick. I set my ac30 with a little hair, then push it over the edge with pedals.

3. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

This gig I'll be playing lead on various covers ranging all across the board. What channel do you use and what guitar(s) if you don't mind?

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

normal channel gives you the most versatility. i used to a/b the channels, but i got tired of having completely different sounds for clean and dirty.

as far as i'm concerned, the best way to run these amps is with everything wide open, and to control everything from the guitar.

5. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

Pardon the elementary nature of this question, but I've seen others say this. When you say to run things wide open and use the guitar to control everything, do you mean to max out your volumes (on the amp) and then adjust the guitar's volume knob to tame it to your desired level? I had always maxed the guitar's volume knob and getting from the "guitar knob on 10" has been something I'm interested in doing. When you have limitations to how loud you can be (with a soundman and having to mix with the rest of the band), do you simply turn the guitar down until your level is right?

6. acorkos

acorkos Member

my advice is to get a rolling rack....save your back

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Treble boost to the Normal channel.
    Good Luck

8. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I like to jumper the hi input of the brilliant to the low input of the normal and plug into the low input of the brilliant. I believe the CC series have a "jumper" toggle switch.

9. Marble

Marble Member

yeah run the volume wide open and you can also run the tone all the way up too. Its loud, but just ignore the soundman, they usually are stupid anyway (no joke most of them at lower-to-mid sized clubs don't know ****)

What you do, is you have your volume and tone knobs down all the way. On your guitar, bring up the volume a little for a very clean sound. Bring up the tone knob a little for some clarity. About mid-way on the volume you'll get some crunch, bring up the tone knob enough to get clarity without being too harsh or dull sounding. At ten, and the tone knob at its proper spot for clear pleasant tones you'll be in rock and roll tone heaven. Turn the volume up for leads, down for rhythm. Very simple, and you don't need any pedals for boost, overdrive/distortion, etc. Try it at home first.

But I'm betting you won't be able to turn the Vox past 5 at the most. Those things are loud wonderful beasts.

10. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I've gigged with a Vox AC30 for almost 9 years. I'm also a pedal freak.
    I recently just sold my second Vox (CC version).With that
    and 2 guitars and a pedalboard the weight is just killing me. I just wanted to be as mobile as possible. But now I'm missing the amp again. I use a '53 RI tele, LP and 70's RI strat. For me the normal channel is great with pedals.

11. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

It's entirely down to the kind of music you play and the sounds you want to get, but I personally use the top boost channel (bright cap removed) with the channel volume a hair below 9:00 (looking at the amp from the back). This gives me a clean tone just as it's fattening up but before it breaks up, then from there it's all pedals. I find the best overdriven tones with this setup come from using the pedals as volume booters to push the amp into overdrive, rather than using lots of pedal distortion. The master volume is always at max, because i think the amp starts to sound thin and fizzy when it's turned down enough to actually reduce the volume.

When I started gigging i replaced the valve rectifier with a webber copper cap, but I actually found that with the master on maximum it does affect the tone - it just doesn't sound quite like an ac30 being pushed hard, so i replaced it with an nos gz34 and fingers crossed it won't blow any time soon. These amps are hard on tubes, so I feel much safer bringing a backup - I have a night train too that i use in a dual amp setup, and if the ac30 were to blow a valve i'd move the night train head onto the ac30 and plug it into the two blues I have in the ac30 cab.

12. In Tune

In Tune Member

How do you tell which input is the high one?

13. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

If you haven't clipped the bright cap, you're gonna want to use the normal channel. There's good setting advice here so try them out...I agree maxing the master and lower gain on the preamp kicks ass.

If you haven't tried a Hot Cake Pedal, you're missing out on something great. I have a Double and can get a low gain, mid-high, and over the top gain with the footswitches. I've never liked an OD pedal as much as this one.

14. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

Just wanted to update here (too many times, people don't update their threads after resolution). I gigged it and brought a Tele and a Les Paul (which is what I had used exclusively for a few years). I started out with the Tele just to be bullish about doing things different, since I was using a new amp live to begin with. Long story short, I never put the Tele down the entire gig (@ 4 hours). I can't say enough about how fun the AC30 was to play live. Harmonics were plentiful, and when I intentionally summoned feedback (easily done to boot), it was so controlled and beautiful. I had comments from people in the crowd, as well as fellow band members and my soundman (who has been working with us for severeal years). Thanks for everyone's comments. I ended up using the Normal channel with a Crowther Double Hotcake along with a Reverend Drivetrain. I had been used to having a Solo boost on my previous gigging amp, so to add this option i ran an EQ through the Effects Loop, which worked fantastic. Again, I'm hooked on this set-up. One thing I noticed for sure is that as much as I tried practicing with the AC30 at home, there was something magic about using it in the live context that I didn't quite experience, even at comparable volumes. The cool thing is that there are other features that I still haven't tapped into with this amp, for instance the TB channel, as I was playing it conservatively for the first night out. Again, just thought I'd share my thoughts and experiences after being hesitant at first. :cool:

15. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

The High Inputs are those closes to the grill/front of the amp.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I found that a Z-Vex Box of Rock worked very well with my JMI Amps AC30-6. It did not make the midrange frequencies out of control and kept this really sweet nature alive. Did not get buried in the mix either.

17. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

+2 on the BOR. I use it live with my AC30, and it sounds awesome. The combination of a JTM45 pedal into a AC is magic.

18. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I've been enjoying a COT 50 lil' China through my JMJ30. It shifts the midrange from the higher frequencies (ala AC30), to a lower midrange grunt (ala Marshall territory). This gives me a ton of options!

19. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

That's the thing I love most about this amp - it's voiced perfectly for a band mix and you never have to worry about being muddy/indistinct or getting in the way of the other musicians sonic space.

20. In Tune

In Tune Member

Thank you kind sir...:BluesBros