AC30C2 vs AC15C2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jay1320, Jun 1, 2015.

1. jay1320

jay1320 Member

Hey all,

I'm thinking about adding an amp to start running stereo. I currently play a Morgan AC20 Deluxe. I've been eyeing up Vox amps for a while and I'm wondering opions on having 2 Vox voiced amps or if I should consider something else altogether.

My second question is: Is the AC30C2 that much better than the AC15C2 if I'm not really cranking my amp and would almost always have a mic on it? I realize I'd have more headroom with the AC30, but are there any major tonal differences? I generally play venues in he 300-1000 range but there's almost always a PA to run through. Suggestions and opinions are very much welcome. I'm not looking to spend much more than $1000 or so.

2. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

From my experience with the AC30 and AC15, the tonal differences are fairly minimal. However, you really should try them both. You should easily be able to find one of each in a local GC.

However, while you are at it, check out the Night Train 15. I had never played one until memorial day weekend, where GC had them on sale for $400. After playing it and realizing it was "close enough" to an AC15/30, I bought it.

3. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Really, they're the same circuit. It's just that one has four EL84s which leads to a slightly more complex tone (as you'll get some slight variance in how the power valves each contribute to the sound vs just having two in a push-pull pair), a bigger transformer set and runs into a bigger cab. The transformers give more headroom, but in theory both amps at half should give pretty much the same tone, just one will be 3dB quieter.

The Cab/ Speaker difference is the main tonal difference. All else being equal, a smaller cab resonates at a higher frequency, and sounds smaller and less deep at any volume than a bigger cab. And two speakers on the ac30 vs 1 speaker in the AC15 means the volume/ headroom difference is much more pronounced you'd expect from merely doubling the output power.

As to which one you'd prefer, I guess that's not for me to say. Personally I'd rather have the 30 and run it lower than the 15, because I like the better low end response and having the power on tap for transients, solo boosts etc. But that's me!

kbgear likes this.