ac30cc strange noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by westerhever, Mar 8, 2006.

1. westerhever

westerhever Member

just read about a guy who had a problem with an annoying oscillating noise trying several new vox ac30s in different stores.
    just for fun i plugged into such an amp in a guitar store today and heard this very disturbing sound playing long sustaining notes particularly on the g and b string.this second note was actually loud and obvious,about 3 whole steps below the original note.i played pretty loud and clean.apart from that the amp sounded fine.the shop owner told me he had never heard this noise before.
    anybody else made this experience?

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thats ghost notes. Every "class A" amp does it to one degree or another I believe.

3. westerhever

westerhever Member

i have '71 top boost and a ca. '65 jmi and never heard a sound like this...

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

just read about a guy who had a problem with an annoying oscillating noise trying several new vox ac30s in different stores.

Was that over at the rec.prosoundweb board? Check this reply thread over at the PlexiPalace/Vox board ...
    http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=46001

The Voxheads there say it's not unusual in the AC30 design, and point out that the CC version has a ohmage/filtering switch that can clear it up.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

6. westerhever

westerhever Member

exactly.
    i figured it to be a marginal issue but it was really very annoying.

7. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

I attented an "employees only" vox demo of the amp at Sam Ash on 48th St. in NYC 6 months ago. A killer player demoed the amp. I forget his name. He got killer tones out of it, but at some point the amp started making noises, almost like a metronome, ticking sound. He couldn't get rid of it. I was on my lunch hour and walked out before they realized I wasn't an employee.
    The amp sounded great, when it worked, but I wouldn't buy it.

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i was having the exact same problem. switch the filtering on the back panel to modern and it should clear up mostly if not 100%. it does take some of that beautiful 'sag' out which is what makes chords sound so magical on that amp, but it doesn't change the tone in a big way, just in a small subtle way. hope that helps.

9. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

It's not my field of expertise, so I, too, am but a bystander in these Vox CC wars. But I've observed:

- When the CC series first came out last year, the "motorboating" or ticking sound was common. It was traced to a batch of faulty pre-amp tubes, and I think Korg/Vox replaced them free. They seem to be fine now.

- The ghost-note argument sure got ugly over there. But as an observer, I was interested to learn, in order: The ghost notes may be a classic AC30 thing; the CC series has a switch to filter them out, and the original complainer didn't know about either one.

Not carrying Vox's water here - I ain't got a dog in the fight - just reporting my observations from the last year.

please don't treat me that brutal when i have to say a "modern-switch" on the back of a vox amp makes me shiver. :)

Yeah, well, no weirder than seeing a Reverb knob on a Vox, eh?:)

10. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    To get the ghosting going,(in my experience with these) you have to have the amp almost full bore, usually with a bassy(neck) pickup,have some good bass going on the control.
    The filter switch on those knocks it right out. I couldnt get them to ghost hardly at all with a bridge pickup.
    The dude(as said before) should read the owners manual before bitching about the amp.
    Rob