AC30cc2 specific tube recommendations

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I found this thread and it's the EXACT info I need. Problem with it is that nobody answered this fellas post. Any ideas?

I have a Vox AC30 CC2. I would like to replace some of the tubes and need some advice.

I have 2 channels which I switch back and forth between using a select box foot-pedal: "Normal" which is my clean channel, and "Top Boost" which is my dirty overdrive channel. The amp has three pre-amp tubes. V1, V2, V3.

From what I found on the internet:

Quote:
V1 is "Normal" input, also provides first gain stage for "Top Boost" channel
V2 is final gain stage of the "Top Boost" channel, and top boost tone control circuit as well
V3 is the phase inverter
Also sizes are:

Quote:
4 x EL84/6BQ5 power tubes, need to be matched quad
3 x 12AX7/ECC83 pre-amp. V3 is phase inverter needs to be balanced
1 x GZ34 Rectifier (often goes bad in AC30) will cause fuse to blow if bad
So in keeping with my requirements for Normal being clean and Top Boost being dirty, I need:

A) in V1 position, a tube that can provide a nice chimey clean classic AC30 tone for Normal Channel, as well as supplying the dirt for the initial "Top Boost" gain

B) in v2 position, a tube that can break up early and provide the overdrive for my "Top Boost". I would like the Top Boost channel to be very dirty.

Moreover, I need to keep the gain knobs at relatively the same level since I am switching back and forth with a floor pedal, So i can't just increase the gain on the Top Boost.

Right now I have the default Tong-Sol in V1 and a Chinese in V2. I have noticed that the Normal channel, if I use it as my overdrive OR clean, sounds better than Top Boost as overdrive or clean. So I need to pull the Top boost channel up to par so that I can switch back and forth between Clean and Overdrive.Any Advice would be appreciated.

ken374

I like the tungsol also in the v1, v2 EI (seems to be the smoothest that I tried) sovtek lps in the PI

stratboy01

I used to have the 1x12 version of your amp. I actually prefer JJ's in V2 and V3. For V1 I really really like an RFT. I also noticed the comment you made about the rectifier tube going bad....that is because Vox style EL84 amps are NOT supposed to have a standby switch. You should always keep your standby switch in the "on" mode. Using the standby is what ruins the rectifier tube. (http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75667) <--- read this article to understand why this happens and why you shouldnt use your standby switch on your Vox.

ken374

I had a RFT in the v1, it was making the normal channel little to hairy on the clean side, tungsols are cleaner sounding. I like RFT in my higher gain amps

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have the 1x12 version of your amp. I actually prefer JJ's in V2 and V3. For V1 I really really like an RFT. I also noticed the comment you made about the rectifier tube going bad....that is because Vox style EL84 amps are NOT supposed to have a standby switch. You should always keep your standby switch in the "on" mode. Using the standby is what ruins the rectifier tube. (http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75667) <--- read this article to understand why this happens and why you shouldnt use your standby switch on your Vox.
Thanks for the tip on the standby. I mentioned I was having an issue with the standby LED in another thread and was nearly scolded for using the switch, so it's permanently "on."

I think I definitely need to replace my rectifier tube, probably with the JJ GZ34. BlueStrat recommended TAD power tubes, so I'll probably order some of those from his site. Still on the fence about pres though. Would like to get a few more AC30 user suggestions.

Cirrus

I mentioned I was having an issue with the standby LED in another thread and was nearly scolded for using the switch, so it's permanently "on."
:D

I've got RFT's in V1 and V3 and it does make for quite a gainy amp. If you're happy to look at NOS stuff, I found telefunken to be the cleanest 12ax7's I've tried. Mine were "fisher" brand and relatively cheap because of it.

I've never really thought of the ac30 as a two channel clean/ distorted amp. Since the gain staging is pretty similar in both channels I think of them more as two different flavours - if you want clean clean on one and distorted on the other, there's always going to be a bit of a volume jump - even with optimised tubes. The closest you'll get it I suppose is having the master maxed - that way you can use the compression from the power section to your advantage.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
:D
if you want clean clean on one and distorted on the other, there's always going to be a bit of a volume jump - even with optimised tubes.
You think maybe a clean boost pedal would be a good investment?

Trending Topics