Accelerate your guitar playing - Tomo Fujita

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by BBQLS1, May 17, 2006.

1. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Well since the threads were lost, I wanted to get this going again. I enjoyed reading everyone's questions and Tomo's responses.

It took me about a month after I ordered "Accelerate Your Guitar Playing" to get it (Ebay seller didn't have it in stock), but I have had the chance to watch it a few times.

The video is just what I needed. You won't learn any new styles, scales, songs, or any of that stuff. This video is meant to give you the skills and chops for you to play what you feel and do session work. The demo's are very cool and I'll be ordering some of Tomo's CD's.

Hopefully, Tomo will still be around answering our questions.

Anyone else here still into it?

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Hey Tomo, your album is not in stock on your website. Anywhere else I can find it?

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I've got it but haven't put enough time in to it yet. I have been using some of the finger exercises in the first section. Is anyone using the ear training part? How exactly do you practice that?

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Play the notes, listen call it out (or at least think it). The point is to listen and pay attention how one note sounds against the root. The next part is how the rest of the chord sounds against the root.

5. on a wave

on a wave Member

i just orderd mine off ebay - im down in auz, so looking at a week turnaround to getting it. but from all reports, it sounds like its pretty good.

6. jumpingoff

jumpingoff Member

Just got it a couple of weeks ago after reading the old thread and I love it. I like that it focuses on musical skills and how to apply them to the guitar and not just a bunch of licks and scales. This has been a great help towards applying alot of previous knowledge that I wasn't too sure about how to apply it to the guitar.

7. MK50H

MK50H Member

I've had this DVD for a while, and find it really good. :AOK

I do have a small problem with the little booklet that accompanies the DVD. The print is too small for my "old git" eyes.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the booklet in large print?

8. Grun

Grun Member

I have had the DVD for several weeks now. I watched most of it when I first got it, and have to admit that (outside of the parts where Tomo actually 'plays') I was a little underwhelmed. Took me a little while to realize, that's just it! This fundamental stuff, but man is it solid.

Have 'practiced' the first sections ('lessons' 1-7?) with metronome semi-regularly (the octave and arpeggio sections are not as easy as they look, particulary with the metronome) for those several weeks and my guitar playing has actually/already accelerated! Looking forward to graduating to the next section and the rest! I want to be really smooth/solid on the first stuff before I move on. Again (for me) not as easy at it looks. Works as advertised though. You donate the time, etc.

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

10. on a wave

on a wave Member

just got the dvd today - looking foward to starting it....

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Tomo's instruction is as good as it gets. Don't stop with "Accellerate" get the Tone Merchants clinic DVD.

12. stlmatt

stlmatt Member

I was a little underwhelmed as well.
    There were great tidbits, Grooving on the 2&4 on the metronome has helped my groove tremedously as well as the 20 other tips for practicing.

I think it just goes to show how different people learn. For some people this is the intermediate instruction they missed, sort of like a masters degree fill some of the holes in your education.
    However,
    I learned a hundred times more from the BB king 3 volume guitar series. Why?

Because BB's approach, his explainations of things in a figurative, lyrical way helped me look around the technical parts that I haven't grasped the language for. He would play a scale, and describe it in a way that makes sense to my brain. The explanation could have been limited to a couple of words like "this is the mixolydian", BB would tell a story about the sound.

I am really going to get into Tomo's tape this summer, because I know my weakness's are directly addressed there. BASICS, get back to fundamentals, I think bobby Knight should be hired as the motivational speaker during the excercises, maybe throw a chair or two for getting off the excercise. [​IMG]

Other than that, Tomo's playing is stellar, and he is inspirational to watch. I think he doesn't need to do the volume swell trick as much, its kind of cheesy, but probably only to other guitarists.

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

This is a great dvd to really focus in on your technique, fixing problems and developing good playing habits. Plus, Tomo is just a genuinely good guy and it comes through in his teaching.

14. paul p

paul p Supporting Member

Agreed - wondering if the booklet comes in larger print as well.

15. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

16. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you so much.

You can email me at music@tomofujita.com
    for ordering cds & dvds. I will include extra stuff.

Thanks,

Tomo

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks for writing. I am sorry that I didn't have a chance to reply you.

There are a few threads about my AYGP. You can search that. You can google my name, you can find my
    AYGP dvd at many online stores. Thank you for watching it. I am glad that you know what's important for
    playing. Not so much about licks or knowledge.

I am around here.

Tomo

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

These exercises are just examples so you need to cook it way you like...
    Especially, you can try to apply these ideas into your music, your routine.
    I teach each person, person's need... one's pace, interest, personality...
    all depends... So you need to know yourself.. how did you like any
    ear training section? How about ... when you play chords on 1234 set
    strings. Do you know all degrees? Can you sing it before you play?
    Can you transfer to 2345 set strings? Think deeply with simple concept.
    This way you will learn YOU by yourself. If you want to improve yourself
    big way, you need to slow way down and learn yourself. How about that?

Tomo

19. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you! Hope you liked it.

Let me know what is your thought.

Tomo

20. gregit

gregit Member

"If you want to improve yourself big way, you need to slow way down and learn yourself. How about that?"

Very Zen....thanks for a great learning tool Tomo.

FlyingsCool likes this.