• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Accessing the Chassis in an Ampeg Reverberocket 2 GS-12-R

whatdisay

Platinum Supporting Member
So I picked up an Ampeg Revererocket 2 (GS-12-R Model) last weekend. Fantastic condition.

Going to be taking it to my tech soon to have all the wiring and caps checked out. Did not see an immediately obvious way of getting into the heart of the chassis. There is one screw at the top and middle of that nice shiny plate but that's about it.

Any of you fine people worked on/in one of these amps before?

Thanks!

zenas

I've done those if I rember right there's a few screws on the back flange and it slide out.
Got a new cap can so maybe it's already been gone through? I'd still want to look inside though.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Be dogged if I remember, and I own one (and did the restoration on it)! It has been running well for too long, I guess. I think (as zenas mentioned) you take the back off, take out those screws and it'll slide out. BUT, there are rubber shock mounts involved also, but I forget what needs to be done with them. No matter, it all becomes obvious once you get going on it. The big thing is having the right bit for those funky Ampeg screws!

whatdisay

yes, I've been trying to find a clutch screwdriver that'll fit. I could get the screws for the back cover off using just a regular flat-head, but I'd like to find a nice direct fit, as I'm sure my tech doesn't keep one handy.

I could only find one screw that looks like it might be related to removing the chassis.

whatdisay

Finally got a clutch head driver. Still not sure how to pull the chassis.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Got the back off? If that's your amp in the first pic, I see one screw amidships top that needs to come out. If there are others there (where the chassis meets the top of the cab) they need to come out too. You'll need to disconnect the reverb cables, and the speaker connections, and if there's a strain relief fastening the AC cord to the cab interior wall that will need to be removed. Then the chassis should slide backwards on that wooden cleat/shelf.

Yours is different from mine. Mine has the chassis secured to PITA rubber shock mount bolts, and consequently has no horizontal shelf/cleats like yours has. That's because with the shock mounts, once I undo the nuts, the chassis needs to drop away vertically to clear the bolts (which stay in the cabinet).

Here's a shot of what mine looks like:
View media item 50069

whatdisay

Figured it out. Just one screw. Turns out I just needed to push from the front panel rather than pulling from the back.

rockometeramp

Is that the same circuit as a Reverbojet? I see it has the same compaction tube, actually all tubes, and the rubber mounts for the chassis.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Similar, not the same, though. The Rjet has just a tone control, where the RR2 has a bass and treble. Plenty of other smaller differences too. Weird thing -- I found a .pdf schematic of the 1968 Reverbojet, looks to be lifted from the CD that came with the big Tube Amps book. It shows some kind of a level meter on the OT secondary!

rockometeramp

Yes, it's kind of cool, I have an original "Golden Glow" Reverbojet, and it does sound best when meter goes into the red. I read in the Ampeg book that the owner hated distortion, going so far as to tell owners in the owners manual to not turn volume up too loud "to avoid unwanted distortion ".

I'm guessing the meter allowed you to visually see when your amp was distorting, because your hearing obviously couldn't tell , due to hearing loss from too much volume?

I really wish the chassis/faceplate on mine hadn't corroded, it's a very oddly styled amp. I may try replating the chassis/faceplate someday and having an artist friend redo the lettering on it.

If you think your Ampeg is constructed weird, take a look at an early Reverbojet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom