• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

According to Reverb, the 100 Watts Heads/Amps should be obsoleted; how do you feel about that?

JDaniels

RE: Obsolescence. I feel the same way about 100 watt amps as I do about fossil fuels.

Nothing rumbles like a JMP or a 454.

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Just gonna say this, the only Dumble-like clones I heard (yes i’ve Played some real ones) that sounded right were the 100 watt models. Obviously, Reverb doesn’t get it but I rarely agree with them anyway.

JasonElGato

Maybe I'm smokin crack (will neither confirm nor deny) to me, big iron sounds big and full at moderate volumes. You don't have to blast em to sound good. As others have said, attenuators take them down pretty well also. Only downside you can't get around is the weight.

Reverb is a gear selling site. Not sure why they'd want to throw shade at a segment of gear they can make money off of?

There are those of us who love the unique tone and feel of the massive 100 watt amps. Yes, they are impractical and require a gym membership, but they have a totally unique sound and feel. I don't see 100 watts ever going away.

Albo K224

i so agree .. Amp technology has changed .. Small amps better meet live gigging needs.than they ever have .. Smaller amps are uber useful in studio settings and this has been the case for decades .. The only real difference now is that amps perform so much better than ever before .. Let's face it; it's a brave new world .. It's just like Life .. Here we have yet another situation whereupon we are faced with having to change with the times or be left in the wake of Progress

"Pity this busy monster, Manunkind, not. / Progress is a comfortable disease"
e. e. cummings
Some of what your saying is true, however I have the newer Marshall Studio Classic 20 watt amp, JCM800 . It just doesn't sound like my 82 2204. It's supposed to but it doesn't. Wattage = thicker fuller sound, more punch in your face. As of today they haven't figured out how to make a lower wattage amp sound like a 100 watt amp.

Albo K224

You lose that bet, my friend.

I bet your not cranking those amps to it's potential. Most places won't put up with it anymore. How many clubs can you play with those amps? They are just way too loud. Looking at the size of the stage of the first pick, your hearing must be going.! Look I love the big Marshall's have 2 of them, but they're just too freaking loud. Especially if you have a Plexi or JCM 800 because they are way louder than any 900 or 2000 or JVM.

foxyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
just sold a Full stack Marshall Jubilee 2555 to a fellow guitar player today:
I played it loud, and loved it, he will play it loud and love it
you can rationalize your 20watters ( with lots of compression, no deep lows, no AIR pushing power, modelers (yuck), kempers (okay but no visceral connection to the amp), or headphone thingies all day, but:

playing in front of a 100W full stack = happiness.

you will dismiss this fact until you experience it.
when you experience it.... nothing else will do.

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I bet your not cranking those amps to it's potential. Most places won't put up with it anymore. How many clubs can you play with those amps? They are just way too loud. Looking at the size of the stage of the first pick, your hearing must be going.! Look I love the big Marshall's have 2 of them, but they're just too freaking loud. Especially if you have a Plexi or JCM 800 because they are way louder than any 900 or 2000 or JVM.
Again, you have lost your bet. There are (or were before COVID) a number of clubs right here in little old Madison, WI, that not only allow us to crank our amps, but hire us specifically because we play loud rock and roll, and that's what the people want to hear.

Two of those pics are of my Motorhead tribute. Trust me, we aren't backing the amps down so as to not offend...

Tiger1016

Silver Supporting Member
For me it is all about the best tone tone and feel, and there usually is that extra something in the 100 watter vs ~50 watt equivalents of the same amp that I have looked at (based on apples to apples demos), small and marginal but noticeable. My hands on experience is using the half power switch on my Mesa Mark IIC+, Mark V 90 watt, and Dual Rec Roadster and volume matching when switching. There is some extra punch and authority with full power, and both options seem to work equally as well at lower volumes, at least with the amps that I am into which don't rely on power amp distortion and have good MVs. And attenuators also help out. 100 watts is laughably overkill for me, but the slight improvement in tone makes it worth it for me.

The Pup

Silver Supporting Member
I occasionally play somewhat loud (close to 112dB) and I am guessing my amps are pushing ~7.5W output. This output level requires limiting exposure times to avert potential hearing damage.

Last edited:
Some of what your saying is true, however I have the newer Marshall Studio Classic 20 watt amp, JCM800 . It just doesn't sound like my 82 2204. It's supposed to but it doesn't. Wattage = thicker fuller sound, more punch in your face. As of today they haven't figured out how to make a lower wattage amp sound like a 100 watt amp.
Well ..i mean .. There is no substitute for headroom .. Let's face it. I dont agree with the direction the amplification world is heading. I had to mod 2 100w amps because i liked their sound but needed it much earlier .. I could have just gotten rid of them and bought smaller amps but I really like these amps in a live setting. If I am going into the PA then I don't mind having a small amp .. But that isn't always the case

Eventually
. 100w amps could become paperweights. I tried selling another hundred watt amp on consignment and it sat forever. My friend who is the owner said that that's not what they want these days the trend is now towards smaller amps. I will be honest with you, you can only Buck the trend so long before you are subdued

jrockbridge

With the reactive load options available today, I think 100 watt amps are more relevant. For example, the Freyette PS-100 Power Station can tame a loud 100 watt amp to any volume level you desire or boost your little 10 watt amp up to the 100 watt level. Progress.

Trending Topics