accurate, inexpensive guitar amp mic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lv, Jan 18, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've used sm57s with good results, but I'm wondering if there is something in the same price range that doesn't color the sound as much?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I'm about to buy some mics for my new little home studio and was interested in your description of how the SM57 colors the tone. Most, but not all of my guitar will be through a Tone Port and I also plan to record some acoustic piano. I'll keep my eyes on this one.

3. Creamy

Creamy Member

Have you tried the SM57 at different positions? Everybody raves about this mic for electric guitar but I was getting frustrated until I started really experimenting with mic placement. Others are more experienced with this and could chime in with their experiences.

4. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

First off, people loved 57's on amps because of what they did to the sound: accentuated the mids, attenuated the lows. This made it easier to fit the sound into everything else.

However, 57's made these days don't have the same transformers as the older ones. Luckily, you can now get an improved version.

http://www.mercenary.com/smmiwitatr.html

Or, if you want something that sounds every bit as good as a "good" 57, and is $90 cheaper, buy an Audix i5. Great guitar amp mic.

5. elambo

elambo Member

I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not. Maybe - in fact probably - but since this alternate transformer won't make it sound like a 57 anymore, in those cases where a 57 IS the perfect mic this won't be it. Supposedly, it sounds more like an SM7.

57s, with all their deficiencies, are well-tailored for miking guitar cabs.

If you want "accurate" you should consider a Peluso R14.

6. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

A good ribbon mic might do the trick, if mic placement and what not doesn't help.

7. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I like the Sennheiser e906 fairly well.

Try blending the 57 (off axis - meaning angled towards the speaker from below or something) and a e906 on axis right in front of the speaker (in the middle switch position.

Great sound. :)

-ZP

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I picked up an Audix I5 for a great price and i'm very suprised by how nice it sounds. I'd highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a decent basic guitar mic. I prefer it over the 57 and over the Senn E906 and 609.

9. mindseye

mindseye Member

Depending on what your idea of cheap is the senn MD 421 has been the beeees knesss for meeee!

If you keep your eyes open you can find them for under 2 bills used....
    and they work really well on just about anything else you throw it on.

good luck in your search its a fun ride!!!

10. onemind

onemind Member

e609 does the job nicely, the ability to hang it from the strap against grill is a bonus

11. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I like the e609 in the studio and especially for live use. It's more real sounding to me than a 57. I'm looking to get some ribbons soon though. I've heard they can be great on guitar amps.

12. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Of course, stock 57's made today use alternate transformers...ie inferior. I'm not so sure the new ones are the perfect guitar amp mic anymore.

These days, I am much prefering the i5 to my unidyne III 57 or my 421.

13. irok660

irok660 Member

I had always heard the SM57 was the guitar mic. I was never happy with the recorded sound of my amp using my 57. Got a great sound coming out of the amp, never could get it "on tape". Tried every mic pos you could think of....nada! Always came out "blah", fuzzy sounding. I beat my head against the wall for months, determined to make that thing work!! finally I bought a cheap Speco mh100, 25 bucks, and it came with a cable and, I believe a mic stand clip. It sounds great!! The sound I hear from the amp is the sound that I get on playback. I've done numerous side by side test, the Speco wins EVERY time!!!! Only thing I can figure is I've got a bad SM57. I know they've been used forever on distorted guitar so thats bound to be it. I also just got an AT2020 condensor and it sounds fantastic, talk about your tinkling highs. Hopefully get a chance to do some recording with it this weekend.

14. delichef

delichef Member

+1 on the Audix i5. That's a really nice mic for guitar amps, I was surprised by it too.

The 609's are nice too...although if I buy another one I think i'd get a 906 (it has a switch on it that gets you some different sounds).

In the ribbon category, check out the Fat Head II from Cascade...i've got one on order and from what i've read they compare favorably with the Royer 121's....not the same obviously....but they apparently sound nice.