Ace Frehley at the SX series opener. YUK!!

SiloScience

Anyone else see Ace play at the Supercross Series opener at Anaheim last week? He did the National Anthem a la Hendrix. He had that stoopid gag that he had going on when he was in Kiss (the smoking neck pickup gag).

I've heard 13 year old punks at Guitar Center play the N.A. better on a Squier through a $100 Line 6 amp. I'm a total 3 fingered HACK and I do the anthem far better than Ace did. Several totally wrong notes, you could even see him making the corrections as he played (the camera guy was right on his picking/fretwork in a nice tight shot). He totally mised several notes by a fret and had to sortof slide it into the correct ones. And no ... he wasn't taking license, he didn't even TRY to make it look like he "tried to do that". It was plain old AWFUL. Either he didn't even practice it, or he was totally AFU on ??? ... either that or Homey just can't play. Roseanne Barr did a better job. No kiddin'.

It was just him and a JCM800 double stack, and that 3 pickup LP he is famous (infamous?) for.

BTW ... James Stewart took the trophy in the 450 class ... much better than his 18th place finish last year! That dude can ride!! And I'm not even a Supercross fan! Outdoor Motocross is far more like "racing" to me than SX is. SX is all about the holeshot and air time. Bla bla ...

Anyhow, WHAT a disappointment (Frehley I mean).

charmboy

Nobody's ever accused Ace of being anything more than a sloppy as all hell drunk who happens to come up with some fantastic riffs.

hammersig

Nobody's ever accused Ace of being anything more than a sloppy as all hell drunk who happens to come up with some fantastic riffs.
I agree with alot of this statement. He's not a Satriani, EJ, i.e. melodic type player. Just a solid rock lead guitarist. It was the promoter's fault for hiring him.

tjmicsak

Watch it again and watch it closely. You can see he was struggling to avoid burning his right hand and I would be pretty sure that was what distracted him, as it would any of us. He should have thought the gig out a bit more and wore a heatproof glove or something. I think I even saw him throw away the pick in a manner like he was pissed it was melted and worthless. But in the professional spirit he played it through and just kept going, dealing with it as best he could like a true performer.
Like the other poster who saw the TV interviews from the 70s, this guy busts me up and for that I say he's cool. It's crazy to think a band like KISS could be too square for this guy. I bet when they were getting going his sense of humor carried them through alot.

He was struggling WAY before he pulled the smoke trick, so it wasn't burning his hand that made him screw up....Ridiculously bad....I am terrible, but would have done a better job...simply because I would have practiced it 50x before going out (as well as been stone cold sober)...

5150user

I thought his tone was very good. I'd take those amps in a minute!!!

It really wasn't as bad as y'all are making out. What do you expect from an old rock star at a non-paying or low paying gig? 6 weeks of practice? It's not like this was going to be his BIG moment.

Ted Nugent Rocks the national anthem, by the way.

scr@tchy

I don't see anything bad about a couple of flubbed notes as long as the spirit was with him. He intonated his bends well. Hit all the markers... He shook it in the air amen. The only thing I could say negative about it was that he didn't improvise much, I would have liked to have heard him throw a space freely blaster in there just once and again. He is and always will be great because he is a musical player, he pushes the groove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIyo4kpsEas

OotMagroot

Some peeps also commented on this over at the HC forums. I just watched the youtube....and to be honest, that was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be from reading all these criticisms, LOL!

Maybe he was having problems hearing himself.....or maybe it had been awhile since he had played with the burning pickup, who knows.

SiloScience

My thing is that I've never really made Ace (or Kiss) a matter of study. For 40 years all I ever heard was fanboys or haters. Or course the radio stuff/MTV vids, but that was it. In my teens you either loved them, or stuck them in the same box as Disco as music that had little or no credibility. Pop-rock, with a cheap gimmick that all of the posers were into.

So here I see Ace for the first time at the SX opener, and I am left with a sense of "so that's it?". I mean, Joe Perry has been through as much/more crap in his life and listen to that guy go! Angus as well. So that's why I seemed to make a big deal wbout it.

True, everyone has bad days. Saw Fleetwood Mac in '77 at the height of the Rumors craze. Stevie sang one or two numbers, then mid-song she crawled under C.Perfect's piano and crashed .. right there on the stage. They went into a few extended instrumental thingies, not once even acknowleging Nicks' presence under the piano. Stevie finally came to from her short coke-binge induced blackout, and she finished the concert. Worst singing I've ever heard her do. I've heard drunken wannabe rockstar broads at karaoke bars do a better "Gold Dust Woman" than Stevie did that night. Ironic as hell since the song is about her 'caine habby. We had backstage passes to that one, she looked like she'd been up for days. Probably caught up with her during the show .. a few minutes of beta-wave sleep and she was good to go. Fat coke tongue and numbed out face and all. I think the mic stand was all that held her up at times. :)

But when you use showmanship tricks that imply you're such a hot guitarist that it catches fire, well could you at LEAST get the thing right? +1 on his tone ... my absolute favorite guitar sound ... mahogany axe with a set of medium heat humbuckers (or something like an LP, SG, Explorer, or V) piped straight into a Marshall JCM800. Maybe just a good nasty booster to put the Plexi in the mood. Right on Ace! I heard the delay and the swooshy thingy (flanger? phaser? vibe? who cares?) but still the basic tone was mondo cooly.

But dude, you just gotta do better than my little brother when he's wanking on his $190.00 Dean Evo "Amp Pack" rig. Ya think?

Last edited: