acid doodle acoustic

RickC

My recent discovery of Harry Taussig (posted about last week) got me re-discovering the John Fahey catalog and I'm off on a total bender on that now. So poking around the web I discovered a contemporary of Fahey's that I hadn't heard before - Peter Walker. Peter was around Cambridge and Greenwich Village in the mid-60's, hung out with Sandy Bull, and used to play at be-ins at the Timothy Leary estate. Like Bull and Fahey, he explored fusing roots acoustic guitar with more exotic forms. His first record "Rainy Day Raga" is a landmark in acid doodle acoustic (and I mean that in a good way).

If you've ever picked up your acoustic late at night and started riffing around the Norwegian Wood melody over a drone bass, you know this stuff. In fact, that's pretty much one of the tracks :). But Peter does it really well, and each of these cuts is a dreamy little jewel.

Rainy Day Raga is noteworthy for a couple of other things. According to the liner notes this was flautist Jeremy Steig's first recorded appearance, and percussionist Bruce Langhorne was the inspiration for Dylan's "Mr Tambourine Man".

/rick

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
A bit late to your thread, but I recently discovered this particular record and was impressed. I am not too familiar with this genre, and have always been curious about Fahey. Assuming that I like this record a lot, can you (or anybody) point me to some Fahey or like-minded players and records?

slybird

A bit late to your thread, but I recently discovered this particular record and was impressed. I am not too familiar with this genre, and have always been curious about Fahey. Assuming that I like this record a lot, can you (or anybody) point me to some Fahey or like-minded players and records?

Trending Topics