• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ack!! I WANT to LOVE LP's, but man, I must be finding the duds!

Cgkindler

What do you usually play? I'm mostly a Fender player and had a similar experience with LPs until I played one with P90s.

Try the '14 Melody Maker. They are awesome and have "slug" P90s with magnetic polepieces like a Fender pickup.
This questions has been asked several times so I suppose I should answer it!

I play rock/Christian rock/good sounding stuff/ect

I currently use a Parker Fly Deluxe, and a Telecaster USA Deluxe, and a few other various guitars.

I play through a Two Rock Studio Pro 22 combo, BadCat Cougar 15 Combo and an Electra Dyne single 12" wide body combo.

Effects wise, well, wow, there's a lot to choose from....my normal?

EP Booster
Rook Roayle
Sovereign
Diamond Trem
Timeline
BigSky

Getting a LP is more of a want, than need (everything is a want in music, but you get the idea)

I'd LOVE to try out some of the lower end option

Oncaster

Yeah i mean I love the way Les Paul's look and Gibson's quality. I even own an example of a very rare and sought after vintage Les Paul, but I'm not an LP guy at all. The very nature of it just may just not be for you.

Guinness Lad

I'm curious as to why people think that when a neck is hotter than a bridge, it is 'wrong'.

a lot of bursts from 58-60 had a hotter neck.... Jimmy Page's #1 for example.
It is common practice to put the weaker pu in the bridge because less string movement.

IamKrisJones

I have a Custom Shop '58 reissue and I freakin LOVE it. I have owned nothing but Fenders for a long time. First Gibson was a Flying V and it also is amazing. They both sound MASSIVE and the feel is awesome. Never tried lower end LP's though.
[/URL][/IMG]

Comanche5

My thoughts on this. You have to approach different guitars (Fender vs. Gibson) differently. I ALWAYS demo guitars first unplugged. The amp adds too much influence. And lastly, if that day no guitar sounded good, you might have just been having an off day. Tone is in the hands.

Cgkindler

Well, I put down a little money on a BARELY used Fender Strat American Special (the cheaper ones)

The guy bought it less than 2 months ago and had GC install a Duncar hot bar pickup (?) in the bridge. It's the natural wood, maple neck and matte/no laquer finish.

What a GREAT playing guitar, really loved it. They had it for $549, and wouldn't budge. They got it in 48 hours ago and it's really worth every penny.

I played some more LP's and just couldn't bond - I'm thinking I'll have to wait for the guitar to come to ME, instead of the other way around, as I'm just not having much luck!

Thanks for the responses fellas!

73Fender

Well, I put down a little money on a BARELY used Fender Strat American Special (the cheaper ones)

The guy bought it less than 2 months ago and had GC install a Duncar hot bar pickup (?) in the bridge. It's the natural wood, maple neck and matte/no laquer finish.

What a GREAT playing guitar, really loved it. They had it for $549, and wouldn't budge. They got it in 48 hours ago and it's really worth every penny.

I played some more LP's and just couldn't bond - I'm thinking I'll have to wait for the guitar to come to ME, instead of the other way around, as I'm just not having much luck!

Thanks for the responses fellas!
If you ever see a Heritage LP type, try it you might be pleasantly surprised.

stevel

I decided a couple of years ago I wanted a Marshall amp. I went into the store and played every Marshall I could afford and couldn't find one I liked DSL, TSL, 201 and 401, whatever they had. The one I really wanted was the 4 channel thing but it was out of my price range. I think the salesman picked up on the fact that I was looking for a Marshall and took me to some NOS amps they had. These were older - the dreaded JCM900s. But I didn't know anything about them (and should have never read anything about them) but I liked the sound.

I got it home, set it up next to my Twin, A/B'd them, and realized it basically covered the same sonic ground my Twin did clean, with absolutely no bottom end. And the overdrive sounded like crap. It only sounded good right at the very infinitesimally small edge of the slightest breakup, but then it got scratchy. I wanted 2 channels but it shared EQ, so that wasn't useful.

I ended up using it as an extension cab for other amps.

I recently tried to resurrect it. Wouldn't play. Took it to the shop. Speakers were blown (both of them???). He replaced speakers and put new tubes in. It actually sounded better than before. Played 2 gigs with it. At the 3rd gig, one speaker died, and then both were gone. I wasn't crazy about the tone but it worked, so I was going to use it for a gigging amp. But right now I'm probably in about $1500 on this amp and all it's good for right now is the brand new tubes in it. I'm not willing (nor can I really) to sink any more into this POS when I could just buy something new.

What I learned was, I don't like how Marshalls sound, and the only ones I do like I can't afford anyway (and will never be able to) or they essentially sound as non-Marshall as you can get, so I might as well buy another Fender, of which I have 3 I'm completely happy with.

I only want a Marshall if I plug in my guitar with a humbucker and it sounds like the solo to Back in Black. Because that's the sound I want out of it.

Otherwise, Marshalls just aren't my thing apparently.

And I've gotten close enough with Fenders and a pedal to make me happy.

Pahom

Over the years I've probably played 20 Les Pauls. Maybe seven or eight I bought sight unseen online.

None of the 20 guitars I played didn't sound like a Les Paul.

Tangle001

I hear you really, I too want to love me a Les Paul, I've had a few and they were good for me. But every once in a while you hear another person's LP and it sounds like what you want so you go out and play a few expecting that in that bunch you will find one that at least some of them are really good Les Pauls and you can buy one. After all we're talking Les Pauls.

My theory is that the complex that is we as individuals by now have the experience of all our previous guitars which we liked for the most part - and that is the source of the expectations which your hands themselves have. Your hands expect a certain feel in relation to your head's relation to the music, and when that expectation is too different from what your hands expected and the feel in your hands causes your hands to think you can't change the setup to make the music you want to make in the way you want to make it, we, the complex people we are judge the guitar as too problematic.

So, the thing to do is keep trying them. I'm a bit discouraged to hear you haven't found one, that tells me I maybe will also have to look and look for one. My newest guitar, an RG took me several months to find, I played about 200 guitars I think, not that I'm picky, I just couldn't find one that played and sounded like my hands and I wanted it to. Until one day there is was, the right combination of tone and resonance and playability. I didn't expect it to take so long, dang. Good Luck. Rock on.

logen99999

with les pauls you have to go straight to the top for the best. start playing the historics and custom shops. I settled on a les paul custom from 2006 that I love.

jayjacque

A nice Strat sounds like a happy ending. Unless I was ever going to play all out rock again I probably wouldn't get another humbucker LP either. For the music you play those guitars you already have along with the strat seem a more natural fit.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
OP, I also once thought LPs were just not for me. Then I stopped looking for a Gibson.

Guess what? I am a LP guy now!

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I'm the same way, I think it's what you cut your teeth on. If you tried that many and didn't feel it, I'd say it's a safe bet that your not a LP guy.

I've tried many times with Pauls but always go back to strats, however I do like Joe Barden bridge buckers, I think there called twin tones I have them in both my suhr strats, I suppose there more of a PAF type which to my small knowledge is a less powerful and maybe even brighter style.

mschafft

Not kidding, here is my advice :

get an Epiphone Les Paul 100. They are great value guitar and you won't feel any remorse if it doesn't get played much. BUT you might just find the spark there precisely because you won't be overthinking it on such an affordable instrument. Once you'll be hooked, I'm sure you'll go back to rest of the LP line with a transformed touch and possibly ear too. Good luck !

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
If you really want to see what an guitar, amp or effect can do you need to buy it and spend months with it at least. Forget what you think you should be hearing at first blush because I can promise you that it's likely that you don't have something set right (could be as simple as you didn't turn the volume up loud enough in the store) or you just need to play it in context. If you still don't like it after a few months then you might say that X product isn't for you.

Also, guys often don't know what their rig really sounds like. I've heard guys say things like "Why doesn't my amp sound like so and so's amp? It's the same one." Then when you hear them play it sounds exactly like so and so's amp. Or the TGP classic "My tube screamer cuts so much bass it doesn't sound like so and so's tone in my bedroom" but that IS the right tone whether they know it or not. This is why you must take time to get to know instruments.

RJLII

I have three Historics and they all sound great. They all have the stock pickups/pots/caps/wiring/etc. Even so, all my Historics have required setups to play/sound their best. String gauge and action are very personal. Pickup heights are a function of strings, playing style, and to a lesser extent the amp you're using.

If I found a guitar at a store that checked all the boxes except the tone box, I might consider asking the staff to throw on a new set of strings and set the thing up properly before I wrote it off.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom