Acoustic Ambient Guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DamageGirl, Jul 16, 2017.

1. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I'm in the minority but I really dig ambient music like this. Interesting that there's even a guitar involved here at all, as I hear nothing familiar in the timbre (and that's not a slam). I guess finger picking is removing or masking any of the attack that would hint at the guitar's typical timbre.

Also interesting that only (?) those two pedals were used to get that sound. If I had to guess at pedals being involved, I probably would've went with the new Plus pedal. Which is about the only piece of gear I'm actually jonesing for.

Social Exodus and royd like this.
  3. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Glad you liked.

LOL.. I don't think you are in the minority; well, maybe on a guitar message board you might be, but there is a whole world out there. :D:D

Checked out that "Plus Pedal" video. I have to be honest, it comes off to me like a way to sell you a looper without calling it a looper. I even checked out the clip with the guy playing cello. It might seem useful for live application for certain players or for guiys to jam in youtube videos.

This one was done with SuperEgo, Flint, El Cap. was going for choral effect without having a Bigsky. What do you think?

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Really. Interesting. I don't have a ton of experience with loopers, but this seems to me somehow more intuitive, organic. I could be wrong.

Very cool. I like the shifts in intensity. Speaking of which, I dig the build and range in intensity, and cacaphony, of the black monolith scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, from 2:32 -5:17 (minus the chimp noise...).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Wolfboy1 and buddaman71 like this.
  5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

i listen to ambient music all day long at my desk as i work.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

And you can stay awake?

jens5, InkStained and Not Orange like this.
  7. buddaman71

no, but it's very meditative to me. i also play improvised stream of consciousness guitar at night (not really ambient) to put me in sleep mode. stuff like this.

8. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

No Looper! Unless you consider the Superego a looper.

Tim Bowen and buddaman71 like this.
  9. feet

feet Supporting Member

mr black reverbs like the eterna are great for this. i can sort of get there with the flint and the dr scientist reverberator- the flint to add space and ambience (In 80s mode, mostly, but the plate works ok) and the mini reverberator full wet to remove the attack and get the main effect. throw in some long delays and you're good. though i do it with hollowbodies to split the difference between acoustic and electric and get a little more cut and clarity when needed.

another fun way to go about it is having a pedal that has its own effects loop. then you could put a bunch of craziness on that while still having some control and make it fit the overall picture. maxon ad999 is great for that.

Tim Bowen, buddaman71 and DamageGirl like this.
  10. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Some great playing there. What kind of guitar were you playing? the pic shows a semi-hollow body.

buddaman71 likes this.
  11. buddaman71

Thank you. Just noodling around on my new (pre-owned) thin-line xTone (ESP Ltd acoustic line) into my Fender SFX acoustic amp.

I have a lovely Breedlove USA Premier Rosewood Auditorium, but I don't really like taking it to bar gigs. I walked into a nice music shop in OKC last week for strings, saw the xTone and bought it on the spot. It was super affordable but perfect for the full band shows where I play "lead" acoustic.

It plays fantastically and, it's the first guitar I've ever owned with the Earvana compensated nut. I'm an intonation freak, and it makes a huge difference to me, especially on the first few frets, where notes often sound sharp.

It's the lowest-cost guitar I own, but plays and sounds and looks great to me.

Outlaw and Hush like this.
  12. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Well you played and sounded really good. I checked out some clips on youtube and they did the guitar no justice to my ears. the clips were very bright and trebley; like when bass players pop and slap.

And I know what you mean by playing "Lead Acoustic." It's like a different mindset with a thingline guitar and a fast neck.

The guitar brand new isn't expensive, so imagine pre-owned you got a good deal on it.

What brand and gauge strings are you using on it? I noticed that when you up-stroked on a chord the heavy strings they didn't sound overly bassy.

How does it sound detuned? I'd love to hear it dropped down a step and a half to C#.

13. buddaman71

Thank you. Pretty sure it just has regular D'Addario 12-53 Bronze Acoustic Lights on it, but I'll probably put Elixir NanoWebs on when these go dead.

I'll try to record something in DADGAD, as I dont think tuning super low would sound good without me putting heavier strings on and resetting up the action accordingly.

Outlaw likes this.
  14. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

:aok:aok:aok

Awesome! Thank you.

Also, I couldn't find the sunburst color like yours. it seems to only come in black and natural.

buddaman71 likes this.
  15. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Yes, those Mr Bllack reverbs have very long decays.

16. royd

royd Member

that is a very interesting pedal... it may very well make it onto my GAS list.

EHX has a pedal that does something similar, although it doesn't look to do it so eloquently and seems to have a lot less functionality. It is at a significantly lower price point though - the Freeze.

Neither pedal does something I would actually use at this point... but hey, that is what GAS is about right?

back to the OP. I enjoyed what you did a lot. I'd love to see a video to see exactly how it was all accomplished.

buddaman71 and Tim Bowen like this.
  17. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

LOL... True that is what GAS is all about, but sometimes your wallet and your brain tells you to slow down with the gimmicky stuff.

royd likes this.
  18. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

It was an off the cuff idea. An experiment wi8th the SUperego, which resulted in that piece. I went to finger picking because a steady signal worked better than single note lines.

buddaman71 likes this.
  19. feet

feet Supporting Member

is the plus shipping yet? i remember when it was announced they were giving huge discounts to people who bought up front. was very interested but couldn't swing it.

another neat thing you could try if you have two amps lying around, and a pedal with two outs: run your main signal out to your main amp, and run a second chain off to another amp. i did this with my maxon ad999- i had several pedals just for the repeats than went to another amp. so i could add all the dirt or modulation i wanted to just the repeats and had the amp to make the repeats louder or softer, or massage them with eq to make them brighter or darker. it was a lot of fun, like making a super delay pedal, while the actual playing and notes still made it to the 1st amp (which had effects on it anyway) but stayed clear and intelligible. you could get super fancy too, and even if you have pedals that suck, it'll still sound cool on just the repeats. reverbs, chorus, more delays, wahs, fuzz, overdrive... seriously, just throw anything on it.

buddaman71 likes this.
  20. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Might have an application for movie soundtracks or whatever, but for live performance it's about as thrilling as listening to a chess match on the radio.

DamageGirl likes this.