1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Acoustic Ambient Guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Mr. Cloud, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

It was amazing to watch this from the front row.

2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

3. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

Instrumental music always has an uphill battle to climb in terms of keeping an audience attention. I guiess its better that they are looking at visuals on her white guitar than looking down at their iPhone. But it still will fall into the law of diminishing returns; like the guys who put iPads on their guitars. The music still has to make you feel something no matter what gimmick you have.

4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

5. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

The arrogance that what you don't like doesn't qualify as music.

It's music, you just happen not to like it.

Paleolith54 likes this.
  6. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

LOL... Hey, Not Orange, if you are not orange then what are you? Blue? Pink? Yellow? Just kidding. LOL Yeah, I think rusty got enough of a lashing from everyone on the board. And he's entitled to his opinion. We agreed to disagree, and left it at that.

buddaman71 likes this.
  7. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

I'm black and blue :bonk

And you are very gracious.

8. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

Okay Mr. black and blue but Not Orange. I wouldn't say I'm very gracious. Its just one opinion. Can't fall part over one opinion especially when there were many others to voice opinions of support. :aok:aok:aok

9. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

Michael Hedges 20 Year Tribute & Benefit Concert
    Performers: Andy McKee, Michael Manring, Michael Gulezian, Jeff Titus and VERY Special Guests

The late, great Michael Hedges stands as one of the most important and influential musicians to ever play guitar. This evening of music and memories is designed to pay tribute to his enduring impact on the music world 20 years to the day after Michael's untimely passing. Featuring musical performances and words by those close to Michael during his life and career, as well as those inspired to carry on his musical legacy, this once-in-a-lifetime event will benefit Harbin Hot Springs (a frequent place of rejuvenation for Michael) which is still rebuilding after a devastating wild fire in 2015.

Fingerstyle guitarist Andy McKee, GRAMMY-nominated bass player and long-time Hedges musical partner Michael Manring, highly acclaimed solo guitarist Michael Gulezian and harp guitarist Jeff Titus will deliver the foundation for a great night of music composed by or dedicated to Michael Hedges with SPECIAL guest appearances and performances you WILL NOT WANT TO MISS!
    Doors open promptly at 7pm PST. Show starts at 7:30pm

10. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

Is that incense burning on the headtsock?

11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

12. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

To bad there isn't a scent feature. Maybe with the CD they put one in and you can burn it while he plays and get the sound and the smell of the show. :aok:aok:aok

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

Do you actually play acoustic guitar?

14. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Obviously, what she’s done could never approach the world-class standards occupied by your “real music” compositions, with which of course we are all so familiar. But the fact that you’ve deigned to address so banal a topic at all is, I think, a service for us all. And your offer to review her work? What a saint!

Although I’m still wondering how you could have typed all that with your arms folded.

Mr. Cloud likes this.
  15. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

Yes. :D:D:D

16. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

He used speech to text! But its okay, me and rusty axe came to a cordial agreement to agree to disagree.

Paleolith54 likes this.
  17. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

More cordial on your side, IMO. Still, I have a hard time dealing with your Avatar, so there's that to consider.

These kinds of debates are ludicrous, akin to comparing Rembrandt to Monet or Warhol or Pollack. Good luck with that. Compared to great classical music, most of what folks focus on here have more in common with nursery rhymes. Ambient music, like any, can be good or bad, but can aspire to Monet or Picasso-esque levels of surrealism, metaphorically speaking. Pop fans (including RnR) should go argue with the Classical folks for a bit.

BTW, managed a summer festival stage that hosted Hedges, back in '84 and, truly, it utterly changed everything I thought about or aspired to do with a guitar.

Mr. Cloud likes this.
  18. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:

I enjoyed your stuff , really cool sounding :aok .

My life has always been a constant ambient sound generator
    inside my head waiting to erupt at any moment since I can
    recall . I have memories that go back to my first year old
    birthday party and further back from there . I hear violins
    mostly and synth sounds , tympani drums , and percussion
    inside my mind's ears :dude .

• As a child at play
    • In school at my desk
    • Learning musical instruments - starting when I was 4
    • When I patrolled the state park I was a ranger in when I was a college student -
    • While I worked as a chef
    • It's never ending and evolving in my mind constantly
    I'm 67 and still perform :rockin . I play 6 instruments .

EZ :

HR

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:)
    ¿ What acoustic guitar(s) do you play ?
    I've :

1. X2 Washburn dreads , one a single cut a way rosewood acoustic electric - it's my first fav
    2. Lucero acoustic electric cocobolo body single cut a way 000 Spanish classical - - my second fav
    3. Kamaka soprano blonde koa ukulele - - a sweetie pie
    4. Antares all mahogany 000 resonator - - close second fav

My electric(s) is/are a

• Godin LGXSA w/midi and acoustic electric -
    • Harmony Strat
    I'm using a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X - Ambient guitarists are using the free looping
    feature that gets many the :

[
    Frippertronics ]

type of un sequenced timing variable unpredictable graceful changes for ambient FX sounds , I'm beginning to explore this ,
    it's really cool .

Your stuff is really motivating . Thanks :beer for sharing :dude

EZ :

HR

20. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

indeed.....my ambient/electronic guitar instrumental album LVX Nova got signed in 1995, back when electronic music was really gaining some momentum, all the new genres like drum n bass, ambient techno, IDM, etc started to gain traction.

the label didn't know what to do with us, even though we were labelmates with Tangerine Dream. our "live shows" were about as exciting as watching paint dry. bless their hearts, the label did send me on a press/publicity tour, which turned into a lovely month criss-crossing the USA drinking with every press,radio, and indie retail person we possibly could on the label's credit card.

we're actually working on an album for our 20th anniversary of releasing the original. i really dig the combination of ambient electronic tracks and samples mixed with my guitar work. hopefully i will be able to integrate it even better than i did the first time. but this time out, we certainly won't waste time or money by trying to do "live shows"....

Mr. Cloud and Mister Natural like this.