Acoustic Ambient Guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DamageGirl, Jul 16, 2017.

1. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

New Avatar. I hope you approve. LOL Yes, I agree. It's why i said he was entitled to his opinion and that said opinion didn't bother me in the slightest. But it's not worht the energy arguging because you really don't change people's minds. And to be honest i didn't want to change his mind. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place. We can diagree and still be civil.

Bobby D and quilsaw like this.
  2. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Indeed. (I don't even aspire to play a piece the same way twice.)

Re: New Avatar - Hmmmm. Not overtly disturbing, but I'll have to see how I feel after tonight's slumber. :)

3. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Hip-Hip-Hooray!! Finally, someone who has lived it and is a realist.

Glad you got to enjoy the press junket and all the benefits that came with it. I'm sure that happened a lot with labels in that we already have this ambient act what do we do with this ambient act? LOL. don't knck yourself -- its just the nature of the beast; watching you tap-dance on your pedal board just isn't an exciting visual experience. But you at least you played an instrument.

Doing ambient guitar shows might work in a museum setting or some other sedate setting. But i remember Moby trying to get a lollapaooza type festival going and it having very poor ticket sales, and Aphex Twin doing a show with a macbook and female bodybuilders posing, Or shows in store fronts with 40 people and literally all you see is the top of the guy's head becasue he's bent over setting off samples.

And the worst offenders are the guys doing projections!! Am I to watch what your projecting on the screen behind you? Am I to watch you bending over to fiddle with knobs? Or the giant shadow that you now cast on the screen because you are now in the way of the projection to fiddle with knobs?

4. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Nice gear. I think it was Yamaha. But it was of an example of the pedals more than anything else. Never tried the Godin, though I did have a midi guitar set up for ahwile.

Hurricane likes this.
  5. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Thank you for the compliment , I really liked what you threw down :)

Yep the Godin is a killer of a guitar .

EZ :

HR

6. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Like to hear an example of you with the TC Helicon. The stuiff on youtube was less than impressive as far as guitar tones. but for a singer/songwriter i think those people would be happy with it.

7. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

LOL... How was the slumber? And did the avatar settle in yet? :D

8. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Aye, mostly sleeping OK, thanks. My wife being a dyed-in-the-wool "Whovian", I can't help but notice that the new avatar reminds me a bit of the "Weeping Angels". I might need a night light left on after all. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    DamageGirl likes this.
  9. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Creepy. Sorry, not a dedicated Whovian at all -- but the weeping angels were creepy for sure. The avatar is grim reaper. :mob:omg:omg

10. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

No worries. The Reaper I can always transpose (in my head) to the Bill & Ted version, lol.

In the meantime I've been looking for new inspiration in keeping with this thread and coming up short. I have been inspired to work through something of my own to present, but haven't yet made the time for it. Maybe over the remainder of the weekend.

So, it would be lovely to see more samples from anyone following the thread....

I will offer up the following, a piece that has always moved me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  11. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

LOL... Bil and Ted. don't get all bogus on me! The sergio clip is very interesting, but I'd prefer to just listen to a multi-tracked recording version of it -- not for it to be performed solo with a single guitar and a looper.

12. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Well, frankly, I don't quite consider it (or, even, Michael Hedges, et al) as the best example(s) of "Ambient Acoustic Music", although any instrumental genre will tend to have naturally fuzzy borders.

Not sure I care, specifically, whether such compositions might be accomplished solo, by an ensemble, with or without loopers, triggered samples, or multi-tracked (or all of the above).

For me, the word "ambient" could be used to imply "atmospheric" or "ethereal" tonal characteristics, but even that would tend to limit the palette a bit for my tastes.

DamageGirl likes this.
  13. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

LOl.. No, all i meant was it could have just as easily been a multitracked mutliple guitar parts finished product piece instyead of trying to get it all done as a one man one guitar thing. also, i meant i dont need to visual to hear beauty. :aok:aok:aok

quilsaw likes this.
  14. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

OK, yeah, I get ya....and would, maybe, sort of, sometimes, kind of agree with that sentiment.

Too often, I think, many of us (me included) attempt to get the "sound in our heads" out via such (solo) efforts. In practical terms, let's face it, finding like-minded musician's to collaborate with can be a challenge. Also, I admire those that can do the solo-thing well and often appreciate the "immediacy" (for lack of a better word) of single-take recordings.

Most of the time, I'm happy to play that way, working with loopers and such in an effort to bring other compositional voices to bear, add depth, whatever. But, I'll concede, that approach can also be a bit lazy and limiting. I know just how much time and effort actually goes into developing more complex, multi-tracked compositions. (I've attempted a few myself, here and there, over the years.) For those reasons, I tend to hesitate before going down that road.

So, do you also mean that you don't need (or want) to see a guy playing live to appreciate the music?

15. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I dig this style of music, and actually tried to do it when I was into electric guitar, but I suck at it. The stuff I wrote was totally uninteresting, and I found it frustrating trying to replicate some of the stuff I was into at the time (Explosions in the Sky mostly).

quilsaw and DamageGirl like this.
  16. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

No, I don't need the visual. I learned a long time ago that people will get sick of the video way before they get sick of the song in the MTV era. Music has to tickle my ears and my heart and my mind. My eyes can be fooled with post production concert films, so i rely less on my eyes. :)

17. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Yeah, in that regard, it's interesting to note the historical precedents that define ambient forms as "background music", a connotation (and intent) which, of course, goes back to Eno himself.

But, speaking of videos and MTV, its also clear that even more conventional forms seem to rely on visual "crutches" to engage the viewer/listener. Ha, even my wife - who has fairly conventional musical tastes - say's that anytime there's a bunch of backup dancers on stage it's a sure sign that the music sucks.

As noted above, I'm personally inclined to consider the ambient tent as big enough to encompass quite a range of styles, including variants of classical, EDM, post-rock, industrial, acoustic fingerstyle, etc., perhaps only omitting more conventional melody/lyric-driven popular forms. But, even then, there's a place for vocal content too.

Given the above perspectives and the level of engagement you might be shooting for, I think it's somewhat harder to quantify what qualifies as "interesting". Not all of ambient is intended to put you to sleep or, alternatively, jump up and shout, LOL. But, I know what you mean. :) Creativity is often hard to achieve.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  18. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

Wow... a bit of a tangent there. 90% of what you wrote had nothing to do with what i said. To put it simply. I can put a vinyl record on and listen to it. Period. End of story. It was not a statement on genre's or what is right or wrong. Just that I dont "need" the visual. And dont read to much into how im wording it. Im not angry. LOL Just hammering home the point that I dont "need" a visual. In fact Im mature enough to make up my own mind and choose the things i do and dont like all by myself without an app or following the sheep.

And the wife is right (They are always right). The more background dancers the more they have to cover up how bad the song is.:aok:aok:aok

19. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Hey, just makin' conversation here :) and I certainly don't think you're angry about anything.

What I might be suggesting is that ambient music, at least as I experience/perceive/enjoy it, often tends to be more oblique or less directly engaging as more popular forms. I'm not suggesting that the use of visual stimulus is genre-specific or even that there's anything wrong with it...I've enjoyed multi-media or performance art, including live music acts such as Porcupine Tree.

20. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

I'm agreeing with you. LOL I'm just saying I don't always need it. Sometimes you just want to put music on, close your eyes, and fade away into the whatever world you choose.

Nothing wrong with conversation. I didnt mean to come off mean or angry. I might have been a bit foreceful just to show my point. But never angry at conversation, so if you want to keep this going that is fine by me.

quilsaw likes this.