1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Acoustic Amp question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Jimmydeez, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I am looking to pick up an acoustic amp to practice with a singer I am working with.

Here is what I am looking for:

Cheap
    Gutiar input
    XLR input
    good sound for both acoustic guitar and vocals
    reverb is a plus

I will probably be using this with a Martin OMC Arua and a Shure SM58.

Any recommendations?

2. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Check out Ultrasound

3. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

If you really want cheap, check out Behringer. I think it's all made in china crap, for practice purposes it should suffice

4. Jimmydeez

Have you ever played one? I'm just worried about getting a clean enough sound for the vocals.

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

What's your definition of cheap?

6. Jimmydeez

I'm gonna say $300 and lower.... I know thats asking a lot. I would love to check out the ultrasound but I need 2 channels and the ultrasound with the mic input is a little out of my price range.

7. Robertito

Robertito Member

8. Jimmydeez

9. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Nope--never played one. I run my acoustic through a DI and into a Fender Passport PA. For practice purposes, we just sing and play unamplified...

10. Cruiser

Cruiser Member

I have the Ultrasound AG-50DS4 and it's perfect for that.

I found a used one (basically new, 1 gig) for $300 as it just wasn't loud enough for what someone wanted. It's plenty loud for solo/duo gigs and sounds great.

11. solarbean

solarbean Member

Definitely go with the ultrasound. I have the AG50DS3. I believe I paid somewhere around $350 used.

I use mine with an sm58 and I used to have the Martin OMC Aura, but now I have a guitar with a Baggs IMix and another with a Baggs M1a.

The amp is great with all of those pickups, and it really shines with the sm58.

I use mine for small venues - rec rooms at nursing homes and such. I just pop it up on a table behind me and go for it. No feedback. No issues. Just great sound.

One of the channels is optimized for the vocals and the other for guitar.

I am interested in getting an electric amp with similar capabilities.

12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

used Trace Elliot TA35

13. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

My $.02, skip an amp, practice acoustic only, put the $300 toward monitoring or PA gear. I'm pretty hamfisted, and unless I need to practice with my looper, I don't plug in to practice.

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I use a Genz Benz Shen Pro for what you're describing and more. It's more than what you are looking to spend but it's some of the best gear money I've ever spent;

-200 watts with a 12 and a switchable tweeter, lines out etc.
    -Two tube preamps with parametric EQ, Alesis effects and phantom power
    -Direct line in that does a stellar job with my Yamaha piano and I can run a V-stack in directly to back up my tube amp
    -Built like a tank

I've used the amp as a solo PA, a practice PA in a band setting (and it has plenty of power for keys and two vocal mics) and as a personal monitor linked to the PA. I've been very happy with the results and I'm pretty darned fussy about tone.

I would be careful to get adequate power - just consider this a mini PA.I also figured out that the small speakers in a lot of acoustic amps limit the use - by going with a 12 I have no trouble with the keyboard or running an upright bass. You could get a powered monitor and a small mixer and get pretty good tone, but the single piece is sure convenient.

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I bought the Crate CA6110 for $300 it's a great sounding amp for that price and it has plenty of features that are useable. I used it at an outside jam and was surprised at how full the amp sounded the low end is very nice....highly recommend trying this one out!

Here is a shot of the controls!

[​IMG]