Acoustic amps

ClassTone

I recently put a L R Baggs M1A in my acoustic and it sounded great last night at the gig I sat in on, but I'd like to buy an amp for myself. Onstage these guys had an Acoustasonic, a Fishman loudbox (that I played through) and a fishman vertical line array type thing like I hadn't seen before but sounded really good. Any input or particular amps you folks have had a preference for? I'm looking to buy used (read: not a huge budget<400) and I mostly play electric but want decent sound from my acoustic for the several songs a night that I do play.

AcousticDude

I bought a used Genz Benz Shenendoah Stereo 60 for under $400 several years ago. I played it against an Acoustasonic in a shop and thought it was the better for my use. Two inputs, one of which has XLR. Also there are built-in Alesis effects including various types of reverb and chorus. They don't make that model anymore, but the newer ones are lighter and more expensive. Mine is about 40 lbs.

wayben

I have an Acoustasonic 30 and like it a lot. For an acoustic amp what I look for is getting the sound of my acoustic guitar out of that amp. Some amps that I tried sounded like an acoustic guitar, but it wasn't mine. I want the nuances of my guitar to come through the amp. My Acoustasonic does that very well.

Wayne

harpinon

I've had many. I now use the Shen Jr. The Fender is pretty good.
Even the Crate acoustic amps are stellar. The Telluride is one of the best.
Marshall has a nice one.
For me, the vocal sound was the main thing. The Fender was probably the worst. The Crates were good and the Shen is really good. I want a rich, lush vocal and it delivers.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using a Shen Pro for a few years now and it's excellent. It gets along well with my Baggs M1 active and my K&K pure western minis. The tube pre's are really a nice touch and the 200 watts of power allows it to work in a lot of settings. Does a nice job on vocals too.

That being said, I'm doing a gear re-shuffle and I'm planning on listing this amp soon, so drop me a PM if you're interested.

joeprs

Love my Fishman Loudbox 100. To me, it sounds like I'm playing my acoustic unplugged, yet I am able to raise the volume.

aziltz

i have a loudbox mini and its great as part of the back line, or a monitor. I play a Taylor 214 and often split the signal to an dirty electric amp as well.

tms13pin

Gold Supporting Member
I currently have a Carvin AG100D, which sounds fine. I had a
SWR California Blonde for a bit which was a great amp... shouldn't
have sold it, but at the time had both the Carvin and SWR and knew
the Carvin wouldn't fetch much used. I also use the Carvin for
bass, guitar synth, etc. as it has three channels (kinda like a mini PA).

My buddy has the SWR Strawberry Blonde (just a smaller version of the
Cali) and it sounds great too, if you're going for compact size.

--Tom

Double V

I've mainly played oud through acoustic amps.From my experience the Roland AC 60 was a great amp, easy to transport(especially in nyc), and was loud enough to be heard over an 8 piece band. I did eventually move on to the Fishman loudbox 100, a solid,reliable and great sounding amp. Out of the two, I find the fishman suits my needs, a little more headroom, a 2nd channel, and felt it didn't color my sound too much.

Deadduck

I've got a Marshall AS-50D. I think the current model is the AS-50R. It has dual channels with mic and RCA inputs, so it can be used as a small PA, which I do from time to time. Also has reverb and chourus, and feedback control. It also has a DI line out so it can be used as a monitor with the main sound going out to the PA.

I've also used an SWR Strawberry Blonde and really liked it as well.

Most of the time though, I go straight into the PA with a Baggs Para DI and just the the soundman put some of my acoustic into the wedge monitors.

AcousticDude

My Genz Benz has two direct outs for the PA as well. But like so many have noted before, I usually use my Para DI straight into the house PA then use the floor wedges as monitors.

Trending Topics