Acoustic Baritone guitars...what's out there?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jackaroo, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'm looking for a Bari or a long scale acoustic guitar that's intended to be tuned 2-half-steps below concert pitch.

What have you guys heard about that's working for this application?

JD

2. royd

royd Member

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I had a great Goodall baritone jumbo that was designed to be tuned D to D on a 28" scale with medium strings. Lower tunings were possible with heavier strings.

Bryan

4. MikeD

MikeD Member

There is a used Goodall Bari available at Acoustic Outfitters Music Shop in Stratham, NH at the moment. Google them and give them a ring if you're interested... I played it last week and it was awesome.

As far as others go, I've owned a Santa Cruz that was pretty nice as well, and I've played a Tacoma that was descent for the price. Not sure what else is out there without getting into a custom...:dunno

5. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

6. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Thanks...That Goodall looks killer.

By the way-Mike...Dave says "Hi"

JD

7. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

8. jrm

jrm Member

If you're lookign for one that isn't too expensive, see if you can find an Avante baritone. I jsut bought one and it should be here any day now.

9. royd

royd Member

I'm thinking Thomas tunes his Lowden B-B

10. texasdave

texasdave Member

A+ seller on that one... I may see it Saturday, although I'm avoiding it like the plague ;)

11. ModelT

ModelT Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Larrivee BT 60

12. drive-south

drive-south Member

Alvarez Yairi makes the YB1. These have jumbo body with solid spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides, and 14 fret neck attachment.
    The YB1 sells for ~$1500 new. I've heard very good reviews but have not had the chance to actually touch one.

If money were no object, I'd be looking for a Santa Cruz Bob Brozman signature baritone.

drive-south

13. Shane S

Shane S Member

14. michaelharris

michaelharris Member

i got my hands on a baritone santa cruz at artisan guitars in nashville a few months ago, it was insane.

15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I borrowed a friend's Alvarez YB-1 Bari for a week. Nice guitar, plugged in also.I've played the Santa Cruz also which of course was a great guitar. Played the Avante also which was okay for an inexpensive guitar.

Here's the Alavarez YB-1 with a High Strung Bari tuning wanking ala Metheny...plugged in. I want one.
    Bari High Strung
    Bari Blues

16. jrm

jrm Member

I've got an avante coming in tomorrow, but I'll be honest, I've always been a big fan of Alvarez guitars. I'd imagine their baritone is right up my alley. Maybe I can turn the avante for a decent enough profit to get me close to the alvarez should the avante not "do it" for me.

17. royd

royd Member

very nice!

18. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I've become obsessed overnight after hearing Pat Metheny playing this guitar on his cd One Quiet Night. http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=164#3

I'm too afraid to even ask what one of these would cost so I am also interested in more realistic options. If you listen to the youtube clip on this site of Metheny you will my introduction to the baritone acoustic.

Do you all figure that lower cost alternatives have a chance of sounding nearly as nice?

Has anyone tried the Larirvee pictured earlier or the Tacoma Thunderhawk baritone? One last thing, I've had a lot of problems with my left hand over the last decade including carpal tunnel surgery. Should I expect by virtue of the thicker strings and consequent higher string tension (if this is the case) that playing a baritone acoustic it terms of endurance vs a standard acoustic guitar would be much more challenging?