• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Acoustic builders who used to work for Gibson?

pattste

I seem to remember a discussion in which someone mentioned a couple of boutique builders who were former Gibson luthiers. They were now working on their own building Gibson-style acoustic guitars. I have searched but couldn't find the post in question. Does anyone know who they could be? I thought Mayes was one of them but looking at his bio on his site, I was mistaken.

John Mayes

Nope. I worked for Bourgeois, and McPherson, but I build Vintage Gibson style guitars cause they are what I get inspired by.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
Dana Bourgeois helped set up Gibson's Boseman shop as a consultant, prior to opening his own shop.

John

zombywoof

Nope. I worked for Bourgeois, and McPherson, but I build Vintage Gibson style guitars cause they are what I get inspired by.

How is Norman ?- I lived there while attending school. Always liked that town but there sure as heck were no geetar makers there at the time. I am not even sure we had a music store back then. Had to head over to Honest Rons in OKC (when he still worked out of the garage) for my musical goodies.

RockinB23

Jim Triggs ran the Gibson Custom shop but was more known for his Mandolins and Archtop guitars, but he does build nice flat tops.

John Mayes

How is Norman ?- I lived there while attending school. Always liked that town but there sure as heck were no geetar makers there at the time. I am not even sure we had a music store back then. Had to head over to Honest Rons in OKC (when he still worked out of the garage) for my musical goodies.
Norman is growing like crazy! Quite the big place now. Has 2 different music stores. I'm technically living in Oklahoma City now although it's really Moore. It's hot but it's home.

JohnSS

Were you referring to Abe Wechter? Didn't he build John McLaughlin's customized J-200 before starting his own shop?

zombywoof

What now seems strange is all those guys like Allers, Fuller and the others who designed and built some of the finest guitars to ever roll out of the Daylight Plant and who created the first Gibson Custom Division back in 1960 never struck out on their own. They just stuck it out with the company.

Trending Topics